SW 64 + 2 dish installation questions

t00ld00d

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2004
I'm looking to get the CBS HD channel (already have the waiver). I picked up a SW64 reasonably cheap on ebay. I have a dish 500 that's set up on 110 and 119 going to 4 receivers. I also have my old DirecTV dish still on the roof which I'm going to use to pick up the 148 satellite.

I had hoped to get off cheap and use the existing LNB from the old DTV install but no dice. The second I hook up the cables from it I lose everything and check switch won't even detect my SW64.

My question is which LNB do I need to make this work? I had figured on getting a dual legacy but something I read in an ebay listing mentioned that this was only good for SD broadcasts. Now I'm starting to worry that my carefully conceived plan was way off the mark lol.

Any advice is appreciated.

Shane

I've got to assume that your Dish 500 has either a Legacy Quad or a pair of Dual LNBFs. If not, the SW64 isn't ging to work.

The DTV gear can be a problem. Without knowing exactly what it is, we can't say whether it will work. E* Dual LNBFs are cheap enough - I recommend swapping it.

I have no clue what the eBay lister was talking about, but they were wrong. I just replaced my old Legacy Dual (it was dying after many years) with one I grabbed off a friend's old Starband dish (I switched him to D500 some weeks ago). Neither have any problem picking up CBS-HD from 148.

I don't think the problem is with your Direct TV dish LNB, but your existing DISH LNB (which is probably a quad - 4 outputs) will not work with a SW-64 switch. The quad LNB has a built-in switch inside and it will not work with a SW-64 switch. The SW-64 switch requires Dual LNBs on all 3 sateliltes. Replace your Quad LNB with two Dual LNBs and everything should work. Also make sure your second dish already has a good signal from the 148 sat before doing your chech switch test. BTW, Legacy LNBs work fine for HD broadcasts despite what your read.

My existing dish 500 has a quad (4 outputs that previously went straight to the receivers). If I hook up only the quad everything works fine. Check switch shows the SW 64 and all receivers appear to be functioning properly. It's only after I add in the old DTV LNB that everything goes bad. Which is what led me to believe I just needed to replace that particular LNB.

Maybe to be on the safe side I should buy 3 dual LNBs and replace everything?

A Legacy Quad should work fine with a SW-64 - just don't cross the streams. :)
That is, take ports 1&2 from the Quad to 1&2 of the switch, same with 3&4.

I wouldn't buy the 2 extra Duals until you straighten out the 148 issue. Styxfix was right about getting the 148 dish aimed before hooking it through the switch.

So if I cross the streams it would be bad? :)

Gonna pick up a dual LNB and give it a shot. Thanks for the advice.

DIY installation?

Question about NBA league pass?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts