Sunday Ticket - Phone Line Needed?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

vol12

Original poster
Jun 19, 2006
I subsribed to Directv on Friday. I will be using an HR10-250 to receive NFL Sunday Ticket. I currently do not have a land-based phone line. Am I going to have to get one?

Any help would be appreciated.

Vol12

:confused:

FWIW, this has been addressed a number of times, and it seems the concensus is, that D* will tell you you need it, but some report that they have ST and it works without the phone line, below are 2 such threads, there are more, but I have to stop somewhere, you can see the results I got by typing in the Search Box on this site "sunday ticket phone line" (no quotes).

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=35625&highlight=sunday+ticket+phone+line (specifically post #2)

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=43027&highlight=sunday+ticket+phone+line (specifically post #3)

OH, and Welcome to Satguys :)

Last edited:
You are going to need a phone line for that box to call in and get setup. You do not need it for Sunday Ticket.

Will the technician refuse to perform the installation if I don't have a phone line or can I just go to my neighbor's house after he leaves and initialize the setup?

You should be able to take the receiver to your neighbors house. Do they have DTV or will you be able to run a cable from the dish overthere? You will need the phone line & dish connected for TVIO setup.

chazcbh said:
You will need the phone line & dish connected for TVIO setup.

You do NOT need the dish connected to do the phone line setup at the neighbor's house.

Do your dish setup first, THEN take it to the neighbor's house & do the phone setup & you're all set.

If you don't have a phone line a installer cannot finish the install on a hr10-250. If the ird doesn't work or pass the test the installer is on the hook for it. People seem to forget that a lot if you get it installed by a installer.

Last edited:
Get a null modem cable and use the serial port on the back of the HR10 to do the dial in for initial setup. That's what I did. Do a search on the Tivocommunity for the instructions on how to do it.

Does it matter if the neighbor has D*? Or is a phone line all I need them to have?

vol12 said:
Does it matter if the neighbor has D*? Or is a phone line all I need them to have?

(Gee, I thought what I posted above was so clear to understand... :confused: :rolleyes: )

NO, the neighbor does NOT need D* or a dish - just a phone line & TV, so you can do the on-screen setup...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Newbie question re D* "retention" department

Am I hallucinating? (MPEG-4, H20, AT9)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)