Status
Please reply by conversation.

FlyingJ

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 19, 2005
Bexley, Ohio
Suggestions..What to do with D* HD Receiver now that HD Tivo is on the way

Save it for 2nd HD set, which I just don't know if I will ever get,......EBay,......give it to my mother...is there any worth to them? Cause if there is than it's tough luck for mom...lol

FlyingJ said:
Save it for 2nd HD set, which I just don't know if I will ever get,......EBay,......give it to my mother...is there any worth to them? Cause if there is than it's tough luck for mom...lol

I use my 'extra' HD STB on a regular SD TV. That way I can get the local ATSC OTA channels, which are of better PQ then the D* locals, and the HD only channels. I'm also keeping it around so I can get the no charge MPEG4 upgrade when/if that happens so I'll be set when I do get another HD monitor.

I am in the same situation with a Samsung 360 and a SD Directivo.

I think I will keep the Samsung for additional OTA HD and hang on to the Directivo as a spare.

Ebay is netting next to nothing for Sammy 160s and not a whole lot for 360s either. I think I'll keep hold of mine until I see what MPEG4 deals or HMC deals are floating around next year. It may be worth more if activated before upgrading.

I guess I hold onto it. Let me get this straight. I have 3 SD receibers connected in the house. Are you saying that on the locals the pq will be better if I use the HD receiver instead? Oh and Phil, ummm...in case you haven't noticed, your a dog.

FlyingJ said:
Are you saying that on the locals the pq will be better if I use the HD receiver instead?

If you hook up an OTA antenna and pull in your local digital stations that way then yes they'll be better then the LIL's via D*.

The *closing* price on the 360 is around ~$100 or above. I wouldn't call that nothing for used equipment, when an H10 through D* is not much more right now.

If your mom doesn't want, hanging onto it and not using is getting even less. :)

I have to adjust my thinking, $100 for an HD receiver sucks from the perspective of what I paid for mine. I bought a DTC-100 for $600 and sold it a couple years later for $375. Everything's different now - $100 isn't that bad.

I'll still hold onto my 160 though, just in case, since they are getting much less.

Just put it in the closet, you never know when something will happen to your new box...explode, stolen, liquid dropped on it, etc...

Hold onto it for a few years until the new box is old and ready to take it's place. Maybe by then we'll have recyling efforts for electronics where it needs to be so people don't throw these things in the garbage with their banana peels...

I recently (last week) got $150 for my old HTL-HD.

I tend to be a pack rat and have about 4 old receivers in my closet and haven't touched them since I put them there. I decided I would get whatever I could out of it, before it loses value completely. If you are going to put it in the closet, throw it on eBay. Even $100 in the pocket is better than a dust collector.

However, as others have said, if mom can use it, even just for OTA, that is something to consider as well. (Will it work OTA w/out D* ?) Even if she doesn't have HD, the picture will be much better than almost any other method.

PS; Isn't it amazing to think of receivers being 'disposable' ? To be thrown out in the normal trash. 20 years ago, this was unthinkable. And yet we are still complaining about price. As Purogamer says, don't do this with any electronics. Try to find a way to get it recycled instead.

cbearnm said:
However, as others have said, if mom can use it, even just for OTA, that is something to consider as well. (Will it work OTA w/out D* ?) Even if she doesn't have HD, the picture will be much better than almost any other method.

Yes it will work with OTA without D*
Just have to change the dish configure option in the setup menu on the receiver, to no dish .

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Is This An Acceptable Spot To Mount A Dish?(pic attached)

Former voomer D* deal

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)