Strength meter and 101W: Help!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gszczesz

Original poster
Aug 28, 2005
I have a treed-in yard and can only get the 101, 110 and 119 satellites using 3 different dishes. I have a good multi-switch. The 101 dish is a dual-lnb dish. The 110 dish is a DirecTV multi-satellite dish. The 119 dish is also a DirecTV multi-satellite dish.

Here's my problem: when I read the strength of the 110 satellite on my TiVo, it comes in 95 percent on all three channels. When the TiVo tries to verify the satellites, it says 101 is ok, 119 is ok, but no 110. I do not have a 110/119 combiner, instead half of my 119 are missing.

When I disconnect the 119, it says only 101 is o.k.

Therefore it never says 110 is o.k... I know I haven't plugged in the combiner yet, but all that should be sacrificed is half of the 119 channels.

Is there a satellite that will register on the power meter as 110 but is not the 110 DirecTV satellite, so it fails the satellite check????

Greg

The 110 satellite is not recognized by Directv receivers. The Sat"C" combiner downconverts the signal to appear as channels 8,10 & 12 on the 119 satellite but displays it as 110 on your receivers. Directv receivers really only see two satellites 119 and 101.

gszczesz said:
I have a treed-in yard and can only get the 101, 110 and 119 satellites using 3 different dishes. I have a good multi-switch. The 101 dish is a dual-lnb dish. The 110 dish is a DirecTV multi-satellite dish. The 119 dish is also a DirecTV multi-satellite dish.

Here's my problem: when I read the strength of the 110 satellite on my TiVo, it comes in 95 percent on all three channels. When the TiVo tries to verify the satellites, it says 101 is ok, 119 is ok, but no 110. I do not have a 110/119 combiner, instead half of my 119 are missing.

When I disconnect the 119, it says only 101 is o.k.

Therefore it never says 110 is o.k... I know I haven't plugged in the combiner yet, but all that should be sacrificed is half of the 119 channels.

Is there a satellite that will register on the power meter as 110 but is not the 110 DirecTV satellite, so it fails the satellite check????

Greg

You will need round satellite dishes for 110 and 119. Using Phase III dishes with their built in switches causes a conflict in the system, unless you are using Phase I dishes with a separate 4x4 multiswitch. I would get two more separate 18 inch round dishes, one with a dual lnb and a sat c kit with a sat c combiner, which is really a diplexor.

boba said:
The 110 satellite is not recognized by Directv receivers. The Sat"C" combiner downconverts the signal to appear as channels 8,10 & 12 on the 119 satellite but displays it as 110 on your receivers. Directv receivers really only see two satellites 119 and 101.

No, the sat c combiner does not translate and reassign the 110 transponders. That is done by the conversion section in the receiver. The sat c combiner is merely a "diplexor" that places the lower frequency sat c signal and the satndard sat b signal frequency bands onto one cable. A sat c lnb locked to the 110 satellite position, connected directly to a multiswitch on the sat b 18V port of any multiswitch will receive sat b channels on the receiver.

Well, I finally got the multi-sat on the neighbours lawn and started debugging. What I found was the following:

1- You can use two or more multi-sat dishes connected together through a cascadable switch.

2- The TiVo was registering strength on 110W from a satellite that was between the 110 and 119. From my yard position, the 110 was not accessible.

3- Once you hit the 110 properly, all it's channel show up regardless of whether the 119 is hit.

So my problems were due to a different satellite registering in the strength meter as 110.

Greg

Status
Please reply by conversation.

HDMI, How much did it improve

HELP: R10-250 wrong satellite table!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)