STREAMING SATURDAY: 2-year contracts for streaming apps?

The world of streaming video is in free fall right now. There’s just no sugar coating it, folks. It costs more than ever to get popular shows on streaming, and it seems like there are fewer and fewer popular shows. All that would be frustrating enough, but recent price increases just don’t seem to be enough for the companies that run those apps.

Take a look at this​

Disney raised their prices about 50% this year, depending on which bundle you have.. There’s some indication, too, that Disney will shutter Hulu and move all its content to Disney+ so essentially you’d get that bundle whether you like it or not.

Not only that, Amazon announced that in 2024, they would begin putting commercials into Prime Video unless you chose to pay $3.99 a month. It’s not like that’s a huge amount of money, but come on. Does Amazon really need it? It’s just bad faith to be honest.

When was the last time there was a bona fide hit on Netflix? I had to wrack my brain. Honestly I can’t think of a must-see since Orange is the New Black. I know a lot of people were streaming Suits over the summer but if Netflix hadn’t had it, someone else would have. And yet they’re the most expensive app of the major ones and their base plan still doesn’t give you 4K.

I could go on and on and rant about how Paramount+ is nothing but the Star Trek and Yellowstone app, or how we all know how Max has self-destructed, but I’m sure you’ve read enough of my rants to know what I would say.

The bottom line is it’s getting worse and that’s not good.​

What’s been the solution for the decrease in quality and selection on these apps? It’s been to raise prices and add commercials. Does that make any sense to anyone? The streamers say it’s part of a long-overdue focus on profitability and yeah, I get that. The good times weren’t going to last forever. But I think we all found ourselves unprepared for just how bad things would get, and how quickly.

And I’m about to tell you how they could get worse.

2-year contracts?​

Hey, remember when everything had a 2-year contract? Your pay-TV service, your cell phone plan, all that stuff? Every provider that once had a 2-year contract now has added a month-to-month plan so you have a choice. It seems to me that the next step for streaming apps is going to be 2-year contracts.

In the last year, most streaming apps have added a discounted price that you can get by paying for a year all at once. That’s great if you happen to have a spare $150 or so lying around for every app. But, not everyone does. That’s why I think providers will offer discounts for those people who are willing to sign a 2-year contract. It will be just like the old-school contract for your cell phone. You’ll be able to get out, but you’ll have to pay a fee.

But… but… but…​

I can almost hear you saying how that doesn’t make sense. Isn’t the whole point of streaming that you can cancel at any time? Sure, of course. But those streaming companies have figured out how expensive it is to keep providing great content every month. They can’t do it. And so, they’re going to do the next best thing (from their point of view). They’re going to trap you so they don’t have to live up to their promises. By locking you into a contract, they’ll be able to skate from month to month instead of giving you things you actually want to watch.

This will be, in my opinion, the last step in what I’m calling the “cable-ification” of streaming. A decade ago, pay television was dominated by rising prices, too many commercials, and not enough content. A lot of pay-TV companies (Time Warner Cable / Spectrum) didn’t care, because they made it insanely hard to cancel. They raised prices over and over until people started looking for alternatives.

That’s when people found Netflix and Hulu. By the way, both of those services started out for free — Netflix streaming was free if you had a DVD plan and Hulu was just plain free. People figured they could save money by simply streaming, and even when prices started to rise, they realized they could cancel underperforming apps.

Cable TV in 2013, meet streaming in 2023​

Streaming in 2023 is beginning to look a lot like cable TV did back then. It’s getting to be an increasingly bad value and if the streamers take away your ability to cancel, it’s going to get worse. At that point,you’ll seek a different choice. I have a feeling 2024 and beyond is going to be a great time for traditional pay television, because all of a sudden it’s turning into a great value. Maybe it’s time to give it another look!

The post STREAMING SATURDAY: 2-year contracts for streaming apps? appeared first on The Solid Signal Blog.

Continue reading...

• Sad
Reactions: navychop
The world of streaming video is in free fall right now. There’s just no sugar coating it, folks. It costs more than ever to get popular shows on streaming, and it seems like there are fewer and fewer popular shows.
I do not have enough time in the day to catch up with all the shows premiering on streaming service.
All that would be frustrating enough, but recent price increases just don’t seem to be enough for the companies that run those apps.
You are always so quick to go after Streaming Services for price increases, yet you do not ever seem to mention the two price increases DirecTV had in 2023.

Take a look at this​

Disney raised their prices about 50% this year, depending on which bundle you have.. There’s some indication, too, that Disney will shutter Hulu and move all its content to Disney+ so essentially you’d get that bundle whether you like it or not.
My bundle went up 25%($20-$25) for Commercial Free Disney/Hulu and ESPN+.
Not only that, Amazon announced that in 2024, they would begin putting commercials into Prime Video unless you chose to pay $3.99 a month. It’s not like that’s a huge amount of money, but come on. Does Amazon really need it? It’s just bad faith to be honest.
I have Prime for shipping and it actually saves me money for me by not leaving the house.

Even if it did not have video, would still have it for the shipping.
When was the last time there was a bona fide hit on Netflix? I had to wrack my brain. Honestly I can’t think of a must-see since Orange is the New Black. I know a lot of people were streaming Suits over the summer but if Netflix hadn’t had it, someone else would have. And yet they’re the most expensive app of the major ones and their base plan still doesn’t give you 4K.
Witcher, Sandman, Stranger Things come to my top of mind.
I could go on and on and rant about how Paramount+ is nothing but the Star Trek and Yellowstone app, or how we all know how Max has self-destructed, but I’m sure you’ve read enough of my rants to know what I would say.
And still be incorrect-

Other good shows on P+
The Offer
Tulsa King
Frazier
Mayor of Kingstown
Bass Reaves
Special Op Lioness
Seal Team
Wolf Pavk
Halo
Fear
etc.

What’s been the solution for the decrease in quality and selection on these apps? It’s been to raise prices and add commercials. Does that make any sense to anyone? The streamers say it’s part of a long-overdue focus on profitability and yeah, I get that. The good times weren’t going to last forever. But I think we all found ourselves unprepared for just how bad things would get, and how quickly.
What decrease, might you mean all the icky reality shows on the broadcast channels.
And I’m about to tell you how they could get worse.
Tons of content, 4K /Atmos, still a golden age for TV Programing thanks to streaming.

Soon, the rest of sports programming will be on early 2025.
Hey, remember when everything had a 2-year contract? Your pay-TV service, your cell phone plan, all that stuff? Every provider that once had a 2-year contract now has added a month-to-month plan so you have a choice. It seems to me that the next step for streaming apps is going to be 2-year contracts.
Not one streaming service has even brought up that idea.
In the last year, most streaming apps have added a discounted price that you can get by paying for a year all at once. That’s great if you happen to have a spare $150 or so lying around for every app. But, not everyone does. That’s why I think providers will offer discounts for those people who are willing to sign a 2-year contract. It will be just like the old-school contract for your cell phone. You’ll be able to get out, but you’ll have to pay a fee.
If you can afford the year price, go for it, provides a discount, if not, they still offer month to month.
Streaming in 2023 is beginning to look a lot like cable TV did back then. It’s getting to be an increasingly bad value and if the streamers take away your ability to cancel, it’s going to get worse. At that point,you’ll seek a different choice. I have a feeling 2024 and beyond is going to be a great time for traditional pay television, because all of a sudden it’s turning into a great value.
What value?

Just the Entertainment Pack / 3 Boxes is $109.74, no HBO, Showtime or Netflix, also lose the streaming exclusives

With Hulu/Disney+/ESPN+-$25
Peacock-$11
Paramount+ w/Showtime-$12
AMC+-$8
HBOMAX-$20
Netflix-$23

That is $99 ( take away Netflix, only $76), the majority of Paid Live TV Content, no Commercials, 4K Content, streaming exclusives, a lot of newer and older movies, etc.

Stewart,
Unfortunately, Netflix Refuses to give any type of Discount for paying for the year ...
For the privilege of paying for the year, they even make you go get a Netflix Gift Card in order to put the money on thier account.

They won't even accept a Credit Card ....

Oh, they will take a CC IF your paying Month to month, but they won't take it all at once.

I am one that likes to pay things like this Once, when I have the money (Tax return time for example) instead of having a Monthly bill.

You would think they would be ecstatic to have people that are willing to give thier money for the year.

You would think they would even give say a 10-20% discount for something like that.

I've discussed this with them for the last 5 years ... they refuse to see the advantage ...
A Supervisor heard what I was talking about and said, Ya, that would be a good idea, he'll put it in the Suggestion box ...

He had no way to do it.

Netflix needs to get with the times ... they are so hung up on your month to month fees, that tehy can't see the money they COULD be making ... If I pay once a Year, I'm not cancelling service when my favorite show ends 2 months later.

Reactions: navychop
What streaming service other than DIRECTV via Internet is demanding programming commitments?

If none, this seems to be a thinly veiled slam of DIRECTV.

NICE AND EASY: Can you use the DIRECTV for Business app with an H26K?

How to custom program your DIRECTV Gemini Air remote

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts