Strange Skew Situation

Status
Please reply by conversation.

LoTech

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Whitesburg, Kentucky
I recently decided to alter the skew on my motorized KU setup to get the S2 channels on 103W. After I did this, the signal quality increased moderately on all of my scanned channels across the arc except for RTV on 83W (my true south sat) which fell to zero. Apparently RTV has to be dead-on skew for me to receive it.

Has anyone else experienced an overall increase in quality when moving the skew off normal?

Yes. Oddly, even on a single satellite, moving the skew can bring in one channel, at the expense of another. The best example that I know of was Iceberg's suggestion that I change the skew on my MiniBUD to get STO HD on 121W. I had a strong STO SD signal, but no HD Q . Changing the skew brought the HD tp up to useable levels and dropped the STO SD signal somewhat , but still usable. I could then get both STO HD and STO SD . Same bird, plenty of things happening that are outside my simplistic understanding of this hobby. :)

yep. I notice it when I use the 6 footer for KU

there was a feed that if I skewed it off 10 degrees from what it should be the signal came in better.....but the rest were hindered

Or even the lnbf on the transponder of the satelllite itself. I have no idea of their physical construction, but it's a possility, I suppose. Certainly some physical phenomenon accounts for what we're seeing.
:)

This could be the result of decreased cross-pole interference from adjacent satellites on smaller dishes when the skew is slightly off.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Loosing Signal

sat ses1 with dish500 antenna

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts