Strange AM21 issue

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ejb1980

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Vermont
I tuned to an OTA station and it said "signal loss...". I checked all OTA stations and they showed the same issue. On the TV tuner, they were fine and were all above 60%. Back on the AM21, still "signal loss" but the signals were all around 80%. I reset the receiver and the first time I tuned to an OTA station, it was fine. Checked another... Fine. Back to the first and "signal loss". Is my AM21 dying??

I suppose it could be. Did you check all of the connections to the AM21?

Might be a bad USB cable between the AM21 and the DVR. Or muti-path interference caused by atmospheric conditions. Wait awhile and see if it continues. Then try a different USB cable.

I suppose it could be. Did you check all of the connections to the AM21?
Might be a bad USB cable between the AM21 and the DVR. Or muti-path interference caused by atmospheric conditions. Wait awhile and see if it continues. Then try a different USB cable.

This morning all OTA channels were working perfectly. More info: my OTA locals come from 2 locations, Mt. Mansfield, VT and Lyon Mtn, NY. The one station (WCFE) on Lyon Mtn is partially blocked by a small hill about a quarter mile away. The locations are nearly opposite of each other. My antenna is pointed at Lyon Mtn so WCFE comes in and the others (WCAX WPTZ WVNY and WFFF) are coming from the back. I have LOS to Mt Mansfield which is about 19 miles away. All connections are good. Hopefully it won't happen again! Montreal is 63 miles and some of their locals register 15 to 22 % but don't lock.

I have some of the same things going on that you do. I sometimes encounter the same problems you're describing in the summertime when heavy moisture laden thunderstorm clouds are located right. I usually lose the channels that I receive from 2 different directions. This must be temporary mult-path interference caused by the clouds. Only happens to me in the summertime, when the clouds are more dense with moisture. Usually doesn't last to long.

I have some of the same things going on that you do. I sometimes encounter the same problems you're describing in the summertime when heavy moisture laden thunderstorm clouds are located right. I usually lose the channels that I receive from 2 different directions. This must be temporary mult-path interference caused by the clouds. Only happens to me in the summertime, when the clouds are more dense with moisture. Usually doesn't last to long.

All stations are coming through perfectly on the AM21 tonight... But there's a new fun thing happening... While watching local news on the AM21 channels, at the moment a new show is scheduled to start (6:00:00 pm for example), it goes black. When the time hit, between the 5:30 and 6 pm news, this happened. It also happened between 5 and 5:30 on a different channel. Ugh.

First thing I would try is to re point your antenna, I know its worked great, mine too, but every once in awhile I readjust it, wind works against us here.
Also try re scanning your OTA channels (I know it doesn't actually scan, but you know what I mean) ...
Then if it happens still, I would replace the USB connection between the boxes.
We had someone awhile back that was having issues, replaced the USB and trouble went away.

But there's a new fun thing happening... While watching local news on the AM21 channels, at the moment a new show is scheduled to start (6:00:00 pm for example), it goes black. When the time hit, between the 5:30 and 6 pm news, this happened. It also happened between 5 and 5:30 on a different channel. Ugh.

It's a bug that's been prevalent for a while, I've seen it reported many times before. It only happens on OTA channels from the AM21 and only on the top/bottom [:00, :30] of the hour. I don't think it happens with all OTA channels either. It will result in a black screen with no video/audio for a second.

I think it's also limited to only Genie receivers both HR34/44. Haven't seen it reported for the HR2x series.

It's a bug that's been prevalent for a while, I've seen it reported many times before. It only happens on OTA channels from the AM21 and only on the top/bottom [:00, :30] of the hour. I don't think it happens with all OTA channels either. It will result in a black screen with no video/audio for a second.

I think it's also limited to only Genie receivers both HR34/44. Haven't seen it reported for the HR2x series.
Interesting, and this is the first time it's been posted ?

Reactions: Mr Tony
Status
Please reply by conversation.

I only need one zip code for my AM21...

Happy New Year!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts