still can't get started

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Also, the lnb has two cable ports. Am I supposed to hook both up?

Sounds like a dual, just hook up one if you only have one receiver.

How close do I have to get to see a change in signal level and quality? Is it normal to have 25% signal level and 15% quality at all times even when the cable is unhooked?

15% quality at all times does not sound normal, but I would contact you dealer as I do not have that receiver. You have to be VERY close to a digital satellite signal to see the quality increase, remember signal strength means nothing at this stage.

which is more critical, azimuth or elevation? I don't know how I could get any more accurate with azimuth.

Both have to be crack on with DVB, but after taking your time with the set up and its all level then you "SHOULD" only have to worry about azimuth. When you find the satellite then small adjustments of the elevation may be required.

Would you consider setting up a DSS 18" dish more or less difficult? A few years ago when I had DSS it only took about an hour to set up. I got some signal when I got close, then tweaked the east-west and elevation for max. signal. I thought that was also digital and it was a lot smaller dish. There must be something I am missing. What do you think?

18" dish are A LOT easier, the satellites are MUCH stronger hence the smaller dish. Don't give up!

There is nothing over hanging the satellite dish is there (tree/balcony)? A picture would help.

My digital camera was stolen out my car so I can't send a picture but except for utility lines I can see nothing that would interfere. There is a tree in the neighbors yard but it looks to me like the dish would shoot over the top.

You could try swapping out the Ku LNB for a DBS DirecTV LNB if you have one laying around. If you have an old DirecTV receiver, you can peak the dish at 101w using that receiver and then swap out the DirecTV LNB and receiver for the Ku LNB and FTA receiver. You should be able to then get AMC 4, another satellite in the same orbital slot as the DirecTV bird. There are some good FTA channels there. Remember to power down either receiver before swapping out LNBs or receivers.

It's a lot easier to find signal on a DBS bird than it is on a linear Ku bird.

Always remember to use an active (and strong if possible) transponder when searching for a bird. Your DirecTV receiver should automatically use an active transponder for the receiver's signal meter. Once you find the DirecTV signal and swap out the receiver and LNB for AMC 4, I'd use 11708 (frequency), V (Vertical polarity), 2170 (symbol rate). This is transponder 1 on AMC 4, you should get KUIL-TV Beaumont, TX...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Standard vs Universal ?

PBS AC3 and coolsat 4000 pro

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)