Still Aiming ...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sidekick

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 17, 2005
Port Angeles, Washington
Well, I'm still patiently looking for Echostar 7. When I get up on the roof and scan the skies, I seem to get a strong signal from the area where my true south satellite should be (at approx. 165 degrees - Ventura, California). However, when I do a blind scan I believe itsapicking up Echostar 9 instead as I get a Dish test card screen saying something to the effect of "Congratulations you have found Dish satellite at 121 degrees, etc." Of course, this throws everything off. I'm able to get certain satellites, Galaxy 10r, by extreme "nudging", but I know this isn't how it should be. Is it possible that Echostar 9 at 121 degrees is so powerful that I'm not able to pick up the signal from Echostar 7 at 119 degrees? I like to think that I'm a fairly intelligent guy but this has me baffled. Any suggestions anyone??? The one good thing is that I'm getting some good leg exercize going up and down the ladder. Thanks.

no
the other way around...Echo 7 at 119 is MUCH stronger than Echo 9 at 121

you need to have the LO frequency at 11250 for Echo 7

no
but NASA works fine :)

12472 H 2nd dish..this is for Dish customers with channels on the wings
12384 H Sports Event screen (tells you that you purchased a Event)
12428 V Angel One
12297 H NASA
12457 V Channel 101

all have sr of 20000

do you have the regular Invacom or the combo one? Sounds like the regular one

You would need a DBS LNB to get 119.

As for the frequency

-if its a Universal (as this one is), the LO is 9750/10600
-if its a DBS LNB, the LO is 11250
-Regular KU band LNB's (non Universal) are 10750

That's probably my problem in a nutshell. I have the Invacom SNH-031 Single. Do you suggest getting the combo LNB? If so, which Invacom LNB would you guys suggest? Your help is much appreciated. I'm getting roof weary lol. It drives me crazy to think I've been searching for something I couldn't find with the LNB I have.

you can either get the QPH031, which is a combo unit (DBS & KU in one) or use separate LNB's. Thats what I do and it works great :)

I guess if I use separate LNB's that would involve using the 4x1 Diseqc switch that I received with my Coolsat unit. I have an old LNB that was on the Dish unit that I recently removed from my house. Would that work to find Echostar 7 for alignment purposes only? If so, how do you mount the second LNB?

What I think you need to do to find your TS (Echo 7) is take off the Invacom and put on the old Dish Network LNB. Set your LO to 11250. Aim for Echo 7 making sure you get a strong (should be about low 80s) signal. When dish is peaked and Echo 7 is saved take off the DBS LNB, put on the Invacom and set up the rest of your sats. Then later if you want you can "side-mount" the DBS LNB and run a switch, or get the other Invacom LNB like Iceberg mentioned.

sidekick said:
Iceberg, Do you know if Echo 7 has a test card like Echo 9?
sidekick,
Yes it does. It's just a barker channel. I think maybe E* didn't want to spend pennies on a barker that read 119, so they use the same barker 121 on both satellites.

Al

Are you serious? They actually use a 121 card for the 119 TP? That's like ordering a steak at a restaurant and really getting a cheese sandwich. Or putting Toledo on the map instead of Ventura because they had an extra "T" lying around. Oh well!!! Thanks for the information. All this time when I was getting the 121 and thought I was on the wrong Sat, I may have actually been there? .... geeeeeez

sidekick said:
Are you serious? They actually use a 121 card for the 119 TP? That's like ordering a steak at a restaurant and really getting a cheese sandwich. Or putting Toledo on the map instead of Ventura because they had an extra "T" lying around. Oh well!!! Thanks for the information. All this time when I was getting the 121 and thought I was on the wrong Sat, I may have actually been there? .... geeeeeez
That thru me for a loop the first time i noticed it, took me most of an evening to figure out what was up.

voomvoom said:
sidekick,
Yes it does. It's just a barker channel. I think maybe E* didn't want to spend pennies on a barker that read 119, so they use the same barker 121 on both satellites.

Al

no they dont...only spots that have a true barker channel are
110-Dish500
129-Dish1000
105 & 121 for Superdish

119, 148 & 61.5 do NOT have a barker channel

Status
Please reply by conversation.

LNB port caps

Could hackers spoil it for us?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)