Startup Isn't Working Out

Status
Please reply by conversation.

smata67

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 26, 2005
I have the coolsat pro, winegard, and generic single linear lnb. I'm going to "Dish Settings", selecting "hispasat" (I want to get hispasat 1c in particular). The menu has the following:

lnb power: on
lnb type: ocs (I changed to "single")
lnb freq: 5.150
2.2kHz: off
Diseq Switch: off

I then move the dish around searching for the sat, but I get nothing, 0% on quality and signal. I'm coming straight into the box from the lnb via the diseq switch included. I am using it because I want to have two dishes, the other an old Dishnetwork bringing in GolTV. I am not using a motor.

What am I doing wrong here? The lnb freq doesn't seem right, but it does not give me a choice. My lnb has input: 11.7-12.75 and LO: 10.75. Do I need to go into the menu and add a satellite with this lnb setting? If so, what other settings are required?

Once I get this working and attach the other dish into the LNB2 slot, what do I need to do to get that one online?

Dump the switch for now, one step at a time (IMO)

I would enter 10750 as the LNBF freq. (I don't have a coolsat)

I would even go as far as saying put the motor back to the zero position, remove it and work on finding / storing your true south satellite first. Thats the way most of the experts here done it when they first started.

Like PSB said, ditch the switch for now - it's easy enough to add later and right now it's just one more source of loss when you are attempting to get a usable signal.

I'll get some screenshots of where you need to be to get fixed up. I can't see that far east or I'd try to lock onto it.

Make sure you get your LNB settings right up front. Doing so makes life SO much easier down the road.

Screen shots, Dish Setting Menu

First go to Menu, Dish Setting and choose 'Hispasat'

Set LNB Power on, LNB type to single, and on LNB frequency highlight it and click 'OK' on the remote a list will show up. hit up until you cna select 10.750.

The last screen shot shows the DiSEqC switch setup if you insist on leaving it hooked up right now. This assumes your Ku LNB is connected to port '1'.

Last edited:
Now you need to look at a good Transponder

Go to Manual Scan under Installation.

Whatever sat you last looked at will be there. If it isn't Hispasat, press the red button to get the list and select it.

Now highlight the frequency and click the red button for the list. Scroll through the list until you find a transponder with a channel you are looking for. I chose 12.052V becuase it's beam is to the americas and there is a bunch of FTA stuff listed on the transponder.

Once you screen looks like the last screen shot, get to dish pointing as the signal/quality bars should be working now.

Once the dish is peaked, do a blind scan - see what you can see :)

Have Fun!

Last edited:
No 10.750 choice for "lnb frequency"

Under "Dish Settings", when I select "lnb frequency" under Hispasat, all I get are 0 and 5.150 as choices. Perhaps I need to set up a new satellite with the 10.750 value? I have noticed that my software is dated January 2005, perhaps I need to update?

Thanks for the additional info and screen shots. The manual is of very limited value.

you will need to type it in if it isnt there

If you change it to single, you should have a whole bunch of options...but you can type it in :)

OK, I think the coolsat is properly set up now, but I am not catching anything. One problem is that the winegard 76cm does not let you "dial in" 24 degrees, which is my elevation for the hispasat. Even though the indicator goes down to 20 degrees, interference with the lower lnb holder mounting bolt only gets you to 30. I removed the bolt altogether, which brought me down to 28. I tilted the mount some and swept back and forth a number of times, no luck. Decided to search for PAS9 which is within the indicator range and could not find that one either. In both cases I am using 10.750 as my lnb frequency and entered the frequency under manual scan for a known free channel from lyngsat.com. Is it really that difficult to lock onto a signal? I have just noticed that the winegard's offset is 24 degrees, which is exactly what I need for hispasat so I am going to fiddle with the mount to get the dish perpendicular with a level and sweep in that position. Any flaws in this thinking?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

True south question

36" Fortec Dish...anybody using one?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts