Starchoice LNB's for FTA use - stupid newbie question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DeepDishPie

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
Hey all.

I now have two StarChoice Lnb's and would like the differences and capabilities between them explained for me a little bit further.. :eek: plz

The first LNBF came with an older 25.5-W x 27.5-W (inches)dish, and has two F-connector outputs on the back (FYI: Neither of these LNB's are the old beercan style ones).

The second LNBF came with a newer 30-W x 17-H dish (approx-I am guessing) and has four F-connector outputs on the back.

Now I know that they are linear output and that is what FTA is as well. - Thanks to Iceberg for the info...

My further questions are:

What exactly are the outputs outputting? On the 2 output LNBF is one the Horz and the other the Vert signal. If so, then what's with the 4 outputs on the newer LNBF?

Or do each of the outputs send both the Horz and Vert signals? - I hope...

Which begs the question, how many Receivers can be hooked up to these LNB's? Would I need a switch of some type?

And finally, what should the low, low/high settings be set to on an FTA receiver for these LNB's. I do need to know these, yes?

I am sorry if all these questions have been asked and answered a million times already... :bow

Thanks All.

DeepDishPie said:
Hey all.

I now have two StarChoice Lnb's and would like the differences and capabilities between them explained for me a little bit further.. :eek: plz

The first LNBF came with an older 25.5-W x 27.5-W (inches)dish, and has two F-connector outputs on the back (FYI: Neither of these LNB's are the old beercan style ones).
Its a dual LNB. You can aim it at one satellite and hook 2 receivers to it.

The second LNBF came with a newer 30-W x 17-H dish (approx-I am guessing) and has four F-connector outputs on the back.
does it have the 2 "eyes" that look "squished" together? If so, then you have the quad LNB. It is used for SC and can see the 2 SC birds, at 107.3 and 111.1 There is a 22K switch built in so the receiver can flip between the two birds. Will it work for FTA? Sort of. The satellites are 4 degrees apart. The LNB is 3.8 degrees but linear doesnt have the leeway of DBS. You could use it for one satellite and hook 4 receivers to it.

What exactly are the outputs outputting? On the 2 output LNBF is one the Horz and the other the Vert signal. If so, then what's with the 4 outputs on the newer LNBF?
its outputting the signal :)
The dual can output both H & V and can switch.
The quad can output H & V at the same time and can switch to either satellite

Or do each of the outputs send both the Horz and Vert signals? - I hope...
yes it does.

Which begs the question, how many Receivers can be hooked up to these LNB's? Would I need a switch of some type?
dual-up to 2
quad-up to 4
no switches

And finally, what should the low, low/high settings be set to on an FTA receiver for these LNB's. I do need to know these, yes?
LO frequency is 10750...don't need lo/hi (thats only for universal)

Thanks Iceberg that's awesome...your the man....

One quick, very important, follow up question:

Do I have to run four cables from the quad lnb to each receiver or can I combine them into one cable and then un-combine them back to four cables/receivers later? Hmmm I'm thinking no.

Also, I'm in Canada on the west coast, any suggestions on where is the best place to order equipment from?

no. You would need one line per receiver

You're looking for SC equipment or FTA?
SC would be any Future Shop, Best Buy, Brick, etc

FTA I would suggest ftadirect (they're in Canada)

What do I need to combine theses 2 different Sat dish signals to one receiver. A diplexer, not a DesQ switch, yes?

You will need a 2 way DiSEqc switch!

A Diplexer is used to combine cable(or off air) and satellite on one cable!

Thanks PBS

Which one of these would do it?

- MultiSwitch, 4 Way Out, Active, Sat/VHF/UHF -

or the

- MultiSwitch, 4 Way Out, Passive, Sat/VHF/UHF -

or maybe this one?

- Switch, SW21 Combiner -

These are from KUSat site but it doesn't say they are DiSEqc switches....?

Never mind dude. It looks like KUSat doesn't carry the one I would need. Damn....

No I'm wrong they do - Switch, Diseqc 4x1 (Kusat Diseqc 2.0) ...... :)

I'm off to do the ordering....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Coolsat 4000 Pro & HH120

Its my Dream come true.. the HD + PVR Capable DVB reciever...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)