SOUND OFF: Is Gemini HDR a problem for you?

OK folks, cards on the table. This blog is supported by Solid Signal, a DIRECTV Dealer. I don’t often spend a lot of time complaining about DIRECTV or telling you they’ve done something wrong. Why would I? If I don’t like something, I try not to make too big a deal of it. But, occasionally, I do mention it when I think they should do something better. This is one of those times.

The HDR problem​

HDR stands for High Dynamic Range. When it’s done right, it makes your HD or 4K picture look incredible. The problem is that the HDR standard isn’t really that well written. A lot of TVs qualify for the HDR designation, but many of them (most, probably) look better in non-HDR mode than in HDR mode. I go into a lot of detail about the reasons why, here. It boils down to the amount of brightness the TV can show. If the TV can’t get bright enough, then it needs to make everything else darker in order to meet the HDR standard. That makes things look dark and dull, especially on Hulu. For that reason, a lot of people keep the HDR setting on their streaming boxes off unless they deliberately want to use it. I’m one of those people, for the record.

That’s a fairly simple matter if you have an Apple TV, Roku, Google TV, or even a smart TV. It’s also fully automatic if you have a DIRECTV 4K Genie Mini Client. However, on a Gemini showing DIRECTV content, HDR seems to be on or off, all the time. It’s the one thing I don’t like about my Gemini.

Would it be so hard?​

I really doubt it would be terribly hard to put a manual SDR/HDR setting into the Gemini. I can see why there isn’t one on the Genie client, because it’s in SDR almost all the time. (SDR, in case you haven’t figured it out, is Standard Dynamic Range. In other words, it’s non-HDR.) But if the Gemini is going to be in one mode, it makes sense for you to be able to control it. Or, like some streaming boxes, give you the option of Always On, Always Off, or Match What It Was Produced In.

So the real question, dear friends, is whether or not I’m alone in wanting this switch. So do me a favor. Whether you read this article on The Solid Signal Blog or in one of the other sites where it’s syndicated, leave a comment to tell DIRECTV’s engineers what you think.

Obviously it’s going to be just one data point, and possibly not even an important one. Generally DIRECTV decides whether or not to do something based on two factors: (1) how long it would take to do and thoroughly test: (2) how much it’s going to cost to support it at the call center. If most people don’t care about this issue, or if it’s likely to be a problem in the support department, it won’t happen.

Still it would be nice for the enthusiast community to speak out about this subject. Here’s your chance… go for it!

The post SOUND OFF: Is Gemini HDR a problem for you? appeared first on The Solid Signal Blog.

Continue reading...

People do not understand, incorrect HDR does not just affect color, but also brightness, black detail, which then affects sharpness, then could make the picture too soft, or too many artifacts, etc, etc.

If my Roku can make HDR/HDR 10/Dolby Vision automatically turn on when it is supposed to, no reason why the Gemini could not.

Same for Google/Android TV on my Sony.

People do not understand, incorrect HDR does not just affect color, but also brightness, black detail, which then affects sharpness, then could make the picture too soft, or too many artifacts, etc, etc.
HDR doesn't involve color at all. That's the domain of WCG (Wide Color Gamut). HDR (High Dynamic Range) is uniquely about the range of brightness.

HDR is usually accompanied by WCG and neither is necessarily limited to 4K content.

HDR doesn't involve color at all. That's the domain of WCG (Wide Color Gamut). HDR (High Dynamic Range) is uniquely about the range of brightness.
HDR, or High Dynamic Range imaging is the production, transfer and display of content containing a much wider range of color and contrast than historically available. An SDR display can produce 16.7 million colors, while an HDR display can produce 1.07 billion colors.

HDR, or High Dynamic Range imaging is the production, transfer and display of content containing a much wider range of color and contrast than historically available. An SDR display can produce 16.7 million colors, while an HDR display can produce 1.07 billion colors.

Even companies that make jumbotrons can get lazy and roll HDR and WCG into a single entity.

Here's Sony's definition of HDR:
Sony said:

What is the HDR (High Dynamic Range)?​

HDR enables handling of brightness information of a wide dynamic range compared to SDR (standard dynamic range) signals used in normal broadcasts. This reproduces shades in bright areas that tend to have blown out highlights and tones in dark areas that tend to be lost. It allows for reproduction of images with depth and three-dimensional effects that make it feel as if you were seeing it with your own eyes.

Even companies that make jumbotrons can get lazy and roll HDR and WCG into a single entity.

Here's Sony's definition of HDR:

No matter what your links says and no matter what my links says, it comes down to the original posts, if the Gemini sends out a HDR on signal all the time, that messes the picture up when there is no HDR present, colors or no colors, which makes the Gemini broken in my opinion.

I have a Gemini (satellite) and an Apple TV 4K. I have a 4K TV and a 1080p projector, both connected to a Marantz processor. I have an HDMI splitter that converts 4K to 1080p between the Marantz and the projector.

The Apple TV 4K will send 4K Dolby Vision/HDR to the TV and 4K SDR to the projector. It knows which device it's connected to. There is no restarting involved.

The Gemini with HDR on works fine when connected to the 4K TV, but it's quite a different story with the projector. The Gemini set to 4K with HDR on looks terrible on the projector. Turning off HDR is better, but the color is still off. If I change the resolution on the Gemini to 1080p, with SDR off, the color looks good.

I wouldn't think 4K SDR vs 1080p SDR would have such a color difference, but it's there, at least on my system.

I haven't used the projector as much, as I don't like to run it before the sun goes down, so it's not a big deal right now, but it would be so nice if the Gemini worked like the Apple TV 4K.

What Kind of Surveillance System is Right for Your Apartment Complex?

Are Cell Phone Signal Boosters for Home Safe?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)