Can you use a Sofabaton universal remote with a DIRECTV Gemini?

Most people choose the DIRECTV Gemini for Satellite because they like the remote and they want to simplify. The Bluetooth-enabled remote feels good in the hand and supports voice commands. With a Gemini, you get satellite TV as well as streaming apps, and that means only one box needs to be connected to the TV. But, for those folks with home theaters, you might still need to control other devices. You can use HDMI control for a lot of things, but if you want ultimate flexibility, you might want a universal remote.

For years, the holy grail of universal remotes was the Logitech Harmony series. Logitech stopped making those in 2021, leaving a gap in the marketplace for people who wanted truly programmable remotes at a reasonable price.

There’s a new manufacturer called “Sofabaton” that has stepped into the same niche. We don’t sell them at Solid Signal at this time, but enough Solid Signal customers have asked about it that I thought it was worth writing about.

What makes this universal remote different​

We sell a lot of pre-programmed universal remotes at Solid Signal. DIRECTV and DISH offer great remotes on their own that can control multiple devices too. But that may not be enough for you. With this Sofabaton remote you can control what every key does. Not only that but it will control both infrared and Bluetooth devices.

That’s the reason for this article. Geminis use a Bluetooth remote and so people want to know if the Sofabaton remote is compatible with it. That sounds like it would be a really good solution for a lot of people.

No, as of mid-2024 you can’t use a Sofabaton remote with a Gemini in Bluetooth mode.​

Gemini is not in Sofabaton’s database. That may change at some point but as I write this in mid-2024 it’s not. However, that’s not the end of the story. You can use the Gemini in infrared mode and it acts like any other DIRECTV receiver. Tell the Sofabaton app that it’s a DIRECTV HR44, HR54, or C61 client and you can control it in infrared mode quite easily. You just need to remember that infrared remotes depend on line-of-sight. There needs to be nothing between you and the receiver.

I don’t know if this situation is going to change but I have hopes. In the meantime you can use the Sofabaton in infrared mode and it will work. If Sofabaton updates their app to support Gemini, they’ll probably tell you that and you’ll be able to reprogram your remote.

The post Can you use a Sofabaton universal remote with a DIRECTV Gemini? appeared first on The Solid Signal Blog.

Continue reading...

Giving hope and dashing it in a single post.

The issue is DIRECTV's choice of RF4CE (Zigbee) as you've noted previously which isn't "Bluetooth".

You should have also mentioned that this is a show-stopper for the Gemini Air as it has no IR option.

Reactions: Foxbat

Remote Tech Talent in the Modern Workplace

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 10)