Some questions about the OpenBox s10

Status
Please reply by conversation.

highskies

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
Texarkana
I haven't been keeping up with fta receivers these days. I still have a LifeTime Ultra amd a 1030a card. That's how far in the past I am. But I've been looking at the S10 and seems like an interesting receiver. Plus the price seems right.

The first thing I noticed, it said Linux OS. What exactly does that mean, as in for example, you have a Windows OS only? Does it require a pc with Linux to function correctly?

Secondly, does this receiver require a pc to operate, or does it work like any STB where you plug the lnbf in then go to source, such as tv, front projector? I realize that svid and composite are ancient, but does it also have outputs for them?

And lastly, where's the best place to pick one of these up at, where I can get it pretty quick, since I hate paying for something, then having to wait weeks to get it?

I take it that this thing does HD, both dvb-s and s2, correct? If so, this is not limited to just the hdmi output, is it, since I don't have any sources with hdmi inputs? But I do have component ins tho,

No, PC is not required to operate, it is a standalone settop box. I think Linux is the internal OS used in the unit, no external PC/Linux is required. You would use a PC to update firmware, or to use a channel editor program, if desired.

I believe it (S10) has composite and HDMI outputs, but no S-vid or component. The Openbox S9 does have component outputs. Both also have AC-3 audio capability, no further processing required.

Not sure about where to buy, I do know none of our forum sponsors sell them.

Yes, HD DVB-S & S2 capable, and all formats should be available on all outputs.

The Openbox S9 does have component outputs. Both also have AC-3 audio capability, no further processing required.

If that's the case, it looks like I would need the S9 instead of the S10 then, since my front projector does not have any HDMI inputs. BTW, thanks for taking the time to explain these other things to me. I'll Google the S9 and S10
and see what the specs are, such as what outputs are supported on which receiver, since there's apparently a difference between the two. Hopefully the S9 is not more costly, and hopefully they're still available for purchase.

Haven't found that, but I did get a serial cable, spitfire ku lnb and adjustable mounting bracket and 5 ft hdmi cable free with 139.00 purchase. I thought that was fair.

As far as me, I took Iceberg's advice and checked Ebay. The best deal I could find was an S9 NIB for 116 with free shipping. So I went ahead and bought me one. Hopefully it will be here by Friday. Also, I wasn't real interested in purchasing anything from that Rick dude in the 1st place, since he runs a board where everyone posts itc feeds in public, instead of some members only restricted area, like it should be.

When I get this thing, are the satellites for N America already programmed in, or do I have to do that manually via a pc or something?

It's impossible to guess what the stb from ebay will have in it for firmware, or sat lists, BUT we do have several decent versions of the firmware with North American sats in the download section. They can be loaded onto a USB stick and then imported into the receiver, if necessary. Cross that bridge when your box arrives. You should like it, it's a bargain ! :)

Top of the page in one of the banners. Open to all. :)

LOL. I see it now. I have my rez set at 800x600, plus I'm using SeaMonkey. Somehow it was obscured behind some other text, to where I couldn't make it out for some reason..sort of jumbled looking. But anyway, I found it now. Thanks.

Got my S9 Monday. I've pretty much figured out how to setup eveything with the remote, and how most of the menus work. But I am confused about a cpl of things. One of which is the blindscan feature. For one thing, regardless of what sat I'm on, it never blinscans any Vertical signals. It never blindscans more than 3 or 4 signals per satellite. As a matter of fact, the blindscan is the fastest I've ever encountered, a bit too fast IMO. I'm using a Cband LNBF, so the problem is not on my end when it comes to the blindscan feature. As a matter of fact, I can manually enter the parameters for a Vertical signal, the S9 then easily finds that signal and downloads all the chs associated with it. But for some reason it won't blindscan Vertical signals. Is this a bug or something? Anyone else ever had that problem?

The next thing, I've pretty much downloaded all the files associated with the S9 from the download section here. But I'm pretty much clueless what to do with them, and which ones I need, and which ones I don't. What kind of cable do I need to link the STB to a PC, and where do I get one? Does Radio Shack have what I need? Then after I get the correct cable, what is the procedure after that, in regards to the files I downloaded?

Got my S9 Monday. I've pretty much figured out how to setup eveything with the remote, and how most of the menus work. But I am confused about a cpl of things. One of which is the blindscan feature. For one thing, regardless of what sat I'm on, it never blinscans any Vertical signals. It never blindscans more than 3 or 4 signals per satellite. As a matter of fact, the blindscan is the fastest I've ever encountered, a bit too fast IMO. I'm using a Cband LNBF, so the problem is not on my end when it comes to the blindscan feature. As a matter of fact, I can manually enter the parameters for a Vertical signal, the S9 then easily finds that signal and downloads all the chs associated with it. But for some reason it won't blindscan Vertical signals. Is this a bug or something? Anyone else ever had that problem?

The next thing, I've pretty much downloaded all the files associated with the S9 from the download section here. But I'm pretty much clueless what to do with them, and which ones I need, and which ones I don't. What kind of cable do I need to link the STB to a PC, and where do I get one? Does Radio Shack have what I need? Then after I get the correct cable, what is the procedure after that, in regards to the files I downloaded?

I prefer to use a USB stick to load and dump channels lists, firmware, etc. Then I a seperate folder on my computer for each version of the software. Helps me keep things organized. I am using the 9 27 2010 software that is listed in the download section, and have no problems with blindscanning V and H transponders. You might start by loading this firmware from the usb stick and see whether it clears up your problem. Instructions for updating the software is in the manual and other posts. I always save my current software and channels before loading a new one. Hope this helps.
:)

you wouldnt need a cable. After you download the file
Unzip the file and load it onto a USB thumby drive
plug thumby drive into receiver
in the menus there is an option to download software from drive

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Seek Remote Control or New Receiver Advice

STS-135 - the final Space Shuttle flight - Set to launch

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)