Solved HDD problem with s10

Status
Please reply by conversation.
XTGold, that might have more to do with the fact that the drive is bus-powered than the speed of the drive. These receivers simply don't put out enough power through the USB port to keep a hard drive spinning reliably. I've had success using a Western Digital Passport bus-powered drive on my Visionsats, but have never tried one on the S9.

the receiver wouldn't even format the drive,it would lock up.
I had to format the drive with a pc then try it.
I ended up using the drive to back up a pata 160g drive,then
using the 160g pata drive in an external i/o magic case.

I found a usb 3.0 docking station at goodwill today for $8,stuck my seagate 1.5tb drive in it and I am giving it the torture test on pentagon hd now.I will record or attempt to record 2 hours worth,then see if it plays back without burping.No power supply,cable,manual or cd but I think it was still worth it.It has a display for temp,rpms and a built-in cooling fan.
Agestar 3UBTFT

I don't think the hard drive write or read speed is the limiting factor here. Even an older 5400 RPM EIDE hard drive will be much faster than needed. With my S10 I can record PBSHD to external USB hard drive or 16GB Kingston memory stick without issue.

Reading through your posts, and based on my experience repairing PCs, I think you may have an issue with your STB's USB port.

Any external hard drive you use should have its own power supply. The S9/S10 USB port cannot be depended on to spin the drive up and power it.

That was the first one that recorded without errors.
Timer recording fails though,it records for 30 seconds then ejects the usb device.

timer

duh
in the timer menu you have to change the timer service to record,the default value is channel.
If left in default it just turns the receiver on and off at the specified times.

I don't think the hard drive write or read speed is the limiting factor here. Even an older 5400 RPM EIDE hard drive will be much faster than needed. With my S10 I can record PBSHD to external USB hard drive or 16GB Kingston memory stick without issue.

Reading through your posts, and based on my experience repairing PCs, I think you may have an issue with your STB's USB port.

Any external hard drive you use should have its own power supply. The S9/S10 USB port cannot be depended on to spin the drive up and power it.
the read speed was actually the same or slower than the usb2.0 box,so it must be the write speed or average read/write that is faster.The write speed test is a destructive test and I didn't want to waste any recordings doing it.All my interfaces are externally powered 12v 2a

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Hail Damage to Patriot and DH Dishes

Laptop Fans for our STBs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)