Sloppy Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

123tim

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
Pennsylvania
I decided to assemble my new (and first) FTA receiver inside to see if everything worked the way I expected before hauling the thing out into the snow and darkness. I am very pleased with the whole setup.
The only thing that bothers me is the amount of Flex in the mounting bracket. I have a 36 inch Fortec dish with a Stab HH 90 usals positioner. I was really surprised at the weight! Because of this, the whole thing moves around like it's on a spring. It sort of reminds me of those hula girls that people used to have on the dashboards of their cars. Surely this can't be acceptable? The pipe mount that was supplied is close to the guage of what you would get if you had a custom exhaust made - maybe slightly thicker. The mount is the wall mount type and I have it configured as a tripod mounted to a base.
The diagram showed a picture of the mount used as a tripod, but I think maybe that wasn't intended for what I have.
Do I just have too much weight on too thin of a mount? Certainly seems like it.
I had planned on using our clothesline post, but the ground is now frozen and the post leans to the south. Too late.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Dish post

I have a 90cm Fortec dish mounted with the Stab HH90 on a Home Depot / Lowe's chainlink fence post, no problem. It is a lot of weight, so make sure it has a solid base...

I wouldn't use the clothesline post, the number one rule is to keep your pole perfectly plumb. If you don't, tracking the arc is pretty much impossible. I've got a Fortec dish and mount, and I think the tripod legs are for roof or wall mount. Without the legs, my 80CM dish does the hula too. I'm sure your 90CM dish will have problems without the extra support.

Thanks! I think that I'll try to reinforce the legs on mine. I might try some other things (Fence post, etc) until I get that done. The suspense is killing me.
It's pretty hard having a brand new, fully operating system sitting in your house when you've never had anything like it before. If I can't get it to track, I'll lock it on one satellite for now.

Thanks again.
Tim

sadoun.com is helpful

123tim said:
I decided to assemble my new (and first) FTA receiver inside to see if everything worked the way I expected before hauling the thing out into the snow and darkness. I am very pleased with the whole setup.
The only thing that bothers me is the amount of Flex in the mounting bracket. I have a 36 inch Fortec dish with a Stab HH 90 usals positioner. I was really surprised at the weight! Because of this, the whole thing moves around like it's on a spring. It sort of reminds me of those hula girls that people used to have on the dashboards of their cars. Surely this can't be acceptable? The pipe mount that was supplied is close to the guage of what you would get if you had a custom exhaust made - maybe slightly thicker. The mount is the wall mount type and I have it configured as a tripod mounted to a base.
The diagram showed a picture of the mount used as a tripod, but I think maybe that wasn't intended for what I have.
Do I just have too much weight on too thin of a mount? Certainly seems like it.
I had planned on using our clothesline post, but the ground is now frozen and the post leans to the south. Too late.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

You might want to visit www.sadoun.com to look at installation tips. Their website has detailed information and step by step instructions.'

Thanks,
Sandoun's website is very helpful. I think that the two struts underneath my mount need reinforced to strengthen them (they have a lot of flex.). Even so, the mount probably will do everything that it was designed to do just as it is. I certainly can't complain...the whole system was well worth the price, and I am very pleased with the quality of the everything else.
Thanks again!

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Does viewsat 2000 support sg-2100 motor?

Question about system

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)