SL3S Question(s)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

1551retired

Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
Northern Virginia
I have an older Directv five LNB HD dish (the heaver oneused just before the Slimline 5 came out) and am having problems receiving the110 and 119 slot now because of tree growth. Their is really nothing on 110 or119 that I watch but now my HR21 reboots every 12 hrs or so because it can't receiveinfo from 110 or 119. Can I use a new SL3S LNB head on my dish? That way theHR21 will not look for the 110 and 119 slot. I do have multiple cables up tothe existing LNB but would like to go with the newer SL3S SWM for future expansion.

I have an older Directv five LNB HD dish (the heaver oneused just before the Slimline 5 came out) and am having problems receiving the110 and 119 slot now because of tree growth. Their is really nothing on 110 or119 that I watch but now my HR21 reboots every 12 hrs or so because it can't receiveinfo from 110 or 119. Can I use a new SL3S LNB head on my dish? That way theHR21 will not look for the 110 and 119 slot. I do have multiple cables up tothe existing LNB but would like to go with the newer SL3S SWM for future expansion.

The old dish is an AT9.

You can rerun the satellite setup and set it to slimeline 3. Yes, you may not have a slimline but it still only looks for the 99, 101, and 103 so you won't have the receiver rebooting every 12 hours because it can't find the guide data

No, that will NOT work - it's a common misconception. The 5-lnb and 3-lnb LNBs themselves (non-SWM) are electrically different. If you have a 5-lnb dish and then tell the receiver you only have a 3-lnb, the receiver won't look for 110/119 BUT when you are tuned to a channel on 103 the guide data still only comes from 119, so you won't get guide data. The slimline 3LNB takes the guide data from 101, and puts it on the lines from the dish so the receiver still sees it when tuned to a 103 transponder.
SWM LNBs (SL5 or SL3) only take the guide data from 101 so there's no issue with lack of line of sight to 119.
If you call DirecTV for service (free with the protection plan, $50 otherwise)and tell the CSR you are having problems with low signals, the tech will replace the dish with a slimline, an SL5 if you are in an area that gets SD locals from 119, an SL3 otherwise. But he won't necessarily use an SWM dish, you might be able to "persuade" him to do that. Of course, if you have other receivers that are not SWM compatible that's a non-starter. And if you are in an area that gets SD locals from 119 (you didn't give us your zip code) the tech probably won't have an SL3 on the truck, only an SL5.
If you are in an area getting SD locals from 119, your only way to get an SL3 (and thereby not get any SD locals) is to buy it yourself - several eBay vendors can give you this at a good price (don't forget with the SWM dish you will need a power inserter).

You can rerun the satellite setup and set it to slimeline 3. Yes, you may not have a slimline but it still only looks for the 99, 101, and 103 so you won't have the receiver rebooting every 12 hours because it can't find the guide data
Already tried that multiple times. I always get an error during setup on 103 on both tuners (big red X for "Even(18V)" That's why I'm changing to a SL3/SL3S. I've swapped coax inputs and still get the same message. Something about setting the HR21 to a SL3 when a SL5 is attached that it doesn't like.

No, that will NOT work - it's a common misconception. The 5-lnb and 3-lnb LNBs themselves (non-SWM) are electrically different. If you have a 5-lnb dish and then tell the receiver you only have a 3-lnb, the receiver won't look for 110/119 BUT when you are tuned to a channel on 103 the guide data still only comes from 119, so you won't get guide data. The slimline 3LNB takes the guide data from 101, and puts it on the lines from the dish so the receiver still sees it when tuned to a 103 transponder.
SWM LNBs (SL5 or SL3) only take the guide data from 101 so there's no issue with lack of line of sight to 119.
If you call DirecTV for service (free with the protection plan, $50 otherwise)and tell the CSR you are having problems with low signals, the tech will replace the dish with a slimline, an SL5 if you are in an area that gets SD locals from 119, an SL3 otherwise. But he won't necessarily use an SWM dish, you might be able to "persuade" him to do that. Of course, if you have other receivers that are not SWM compatible that's a non-starter. And if you are in an area that gets SD locals from 119 (you didn't give us your zip code) the tech probably won't have an SL3 on the truck, only an SL5.
If you are in an area getting SD locals from 119, your only way to get an SL3 (and thereby not get any SD locals) is to buy it yourself - several eBay vendors can give you this at a good price (don't forget with the SWM dish you will need a power inserter).
Found a SL3S Directv kit (w/power inserter & splitter) for $79 w/free shipping. I don't have protection plan and do most all installations myself as I'm a retired electronic tech (haven't had very good luck with Directv "techs" - last time they messed up quite a few shingles). My locals (Wash, DC) are all on 101, 99, or 103. Main thing I want to know is if the SL3S will physical fit/work on an older AT9. Thanks.

texasbrit said:

I've had a 5 on my setup for over 2 years. It's setup to run slimline 3 and have never had a problem. Too lazy to walk out to the pole and replace it

Found a SL3S Directv kit (w/power inserter & splitter) for $79 w/free shipping. I don't have protection plan and do most all installations myself as I'm a retired electronic tech (haven't had very good luck with Directv "techs" - last time they messed up quite a few shingles). My locals (Wash, DC) are all on 101, 99, or 103. Main thing I want to know is if the SL3S will physical fit/work on an older AT9. Thanks.

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

I suppose you could get the sl3s to work, but it wouldn't be easy. The mounting arms are different, and the dish is a different shape, too, making tuning more difficult. You would be best served to get a Slimline dish.

Google "Experimental Small Slimline3 Dish", everything you need is there.

hutch1814 - Unless it is an SWM setup (either an SWM LNB or you are using an SWM8 multiswitch) then you have been very lucky. If it is SWM, then it only uses the 101 guide data...

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

I suppose you could get the sl3s to work, but it wouldn't be easy. The mounting arms are different, and the dish is a different shape, too, making tuning more difficult. You would be best served to get a Slimline dish.
Agree completely, it really is not worth screwing around, just get a slimline 3 SWM from someone on eBay..

texasbrit said:
hutch1814 - Unless it is an SWM setup (either an SWM LNB or you are using an SWM8 multiswitch) then you have been very lucky. If it is SWM, then it only uses the 101 guide data...

SWM16

I would imagine Directv would do it for the price of a service call ($50-$80), given tree growth is the reason - and any service call gets the old AT9 sidecar dish replaced these days. A slimline 3 LNB would be perfect, much less angle needed.

If you want to do it yourself, pickup a slimline dish off craiglist used, usually can find them around $25. Then hit ebay for the Slimline 3 SWM LNB kit, usually around $35 shipped. I've bought and done two that way myself for family with no issues.

As I posted, that's why you don't have a problem. The SWM8/16 take the guide data from 101 and pass it to the receiver over the ninth SWM channel, so the 119 problem never arises. But if you don't have SWM, then my comment still holds - you can't use a 5-LNB and tell the receiver it's a 3-LNB.

The OP may actually keep the old AT-9 sidecar dish if he wishes. But he must run it (with its four lines connected) through a SWiM 8 or 16 external multi-switch. Then he may place the receiver settings on SL-3.

This way the the 110/119 sidecar is effectively unused now and may even be removed. Guide data is always sought from the 101 sat. group and programming from 103 is still fed over the "Sat B" ("110/119" and "103/110/119") output lines of the remaining main 99/101/103 LNB of the AT-9 to the SWiM switch.

Yes, that works.
If there's a DirecTV service call, the tech will typically replace the AT9 with a slimline even if there's no problem with the dish.

Correction and to be more precise, I should have said 103/119 (odd) and 103/110/119 (even) for the Sat. B&C outputs of the AT-9's main LNB. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Multi DVR recording

HR 34 and Hr 22

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)