Single vs Dual mode - What am I doing wrong?

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
My son will be home from the hospital in about an hour, and I'm trying to get this working for him.

I've never used dual mode before. I am trying to set up a ViP722 TV2 output to a remote 36" analog SDTV. Following directions, I have set up the UHF remote, #2, to address 12. If I leave the box in single mode, I can change channels, etc, using the IR or UHF remote, so I know the remote is working. But the same programming appears on both TVs. If I shift to dual mode, the UHF no longer seems to have any effect. But changing channels using the IR remote changes the channels on both TVs. Disabling shared view does not help.

What have I overlooked? I'm trying to get SD viewing on TV2 independent of what's showing on TV1 in HD.

Are you sure you have the right connections connected?

Is TV2 on channel 3 or 4? If so, you're using the wrong coax connector.

Need to have TV2 on the TV2 coax connector.

EDIT: Nevermind.

I have no idea.

Other than make sure it's on the TV2 RCA output?

Soft reset?

Unplug for 15 seconds?

On TV2, when you press "cancel" on the remote, is the icon in the top left green (says "1") or blue/purple (says "2") while in dual mode? That will tell you if it's a connection issue.

While in dual mode, the UHF remote will not operate TV1 unless you enable TV1 UHF and set it to the right channel.

Last edited:
Er, ummm, ahhh- GEE. Aw Shucks.

The trouble was in the cable receiver liveware interface.

Last night, when I hooked it up, I plugged the RCA cables in to the TV1 jacks, not the adjacent TV2 jacks. :eek:

Moved them over. Seems to work fine, now. DUH!

Thank you for your time.

As an aside, I have it hooked up with a wireless rig. I'm getting a "burp" of static every few seconds. Interference. Can't seem to locate the transmitting box in a good spot to eliminate this. I guess I'll look for longer cables.

Hah, glad to see your problem is resolved!

I was beginning to think, that is a terrible bug if the TV2 was on TV2 connection haha. I know DISH Network's software isn't always bug-free, but surely they wouldn't have let something like that slip heh.

The LED and onscreen both show dual mode. However, you can see in my prior post what a dummy I was.

Now, off to find longer RCA cables from those boxes of snakes.

deleted by thekrell. No wonder I couldn't go back and copy/quote to add to this post.

Now I guess I should learn home distribution by coax, just in case. I could run an ugly cable for a few weeks. Might have to, if I can't get rid of the interference.

Your TV2 is receiving an output from TV1 not TV2.

If you are in Single Mode it really doesn't matter and using either of the remotew sill change the channel that both TVs are seeing.

When you switch to Dual Mode with TV2 still connected to a TV1 output on the receiver if you change the channel for TV1 you will see the image on TV2 change to match. If you use the TV2 remote you will change the TV2 receiver output but that is not the image that you are viewing on the remote TV. (And you mistakenly might conclude the TV2 Remote is not working.)

Go to the back of the receiver and make sure that the remote TV is receiving a signal from TV2 out.

I actually out typed someone. :up

Yep, you're right, see my earlier posts. <sheepish>

Anyway, kid will be here soon, I gotta try and get better reception at TV2.

Now I guess I should learn home distribution by coax, just in case. I could run an ugly cable for a few weeks. Might have to, if I can't get rid of the interference.

Home dist. via coax is pretty easy when using diplexers.

Quote's still there. :p

No good deed goes unpunished.

He arrived. Told him about the setup, and that I had a longer cable on order for tomorrow, to reduce interference. "The climb up the 7 steps will be good exercise for me."

Sigh. I guess the translation is, 61" HD beats 36" SD any day.

Mark it off for drill.

What interference? I've seen pretty crappy results with the RF output using a 625 and now a 722. But I've run 30' or thereabouts of RCA for composite and audio with neither interference nor hum.

What interference? I've seen pretty crappy results with the RF output using a 625 and now a 722. But I've run 30' or thereabouts of RCA for composite and audio with neither interference nor hum.

I have a aftermarket wireless transmitter box that connects to the TV2 RCA outputs of the ViP722 and a receiver box connected to the SDTV RCA inputs. Every few seconds there's a small burst of visual and audio static on the SDTV. The transmitter box is near the audio receiver, or near speakers or other sources of interference. I'm getting a 25' RCA cable to run that transmitter box WAY away from any potential source of interference. If the static continues, then it's wireless phone or microwave or some such interference, or the transmitter/receiver set is going bad. Years ago, I used this rig to watch TV in the back yard, and it worked quite well. Not perfect, but far better than it is today. IIRC, the only problem was when my neighbor used her portable land line phone.

At this point, I'm only doing it to determine if the rig still works, and to have it ready in hot standby if we ever need it for some reason some day. It's days are numbered anyway, being only good for SD.

BTW, the longer cable did not fix the problem. It's an old Astrotel model. I wonder if the interference is from my wireless router? I'll probably keep it, in case I one day have a less demanding application, like a surveillance camera.

Anyone have an electric fence nearby? I live in the boonies so I have very little "neighbor" interference, but that darned fence charger we had would wreak havoc sometimes over a wide spectrum giving me interference and fits in several services. Was rather weather dependent too, seemed worse in wet conditions...

The solution BTW was to get rid of the horse, followed closely by the charger...!

I used a couple of those SD TV X/R pairs in the past and they worked fairly well over about 40' max. distance. Had one on each of 2 SD receivers and they would b'cast on 2 different frequencies so I could receive either at each of 2 remote TVs. Had the remote extenders in the system as well. The X/Rs were "Leapfrog" brand, IIRC. Mothballed it all when I went to HD...

No efence. I understand about mothballing under HD. If I had such a system working with HD I might only have one ViP722.

New free dish mobile app

very capable subscribers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)