Single input PIP

CMLKeller

Original poster
Sep 3, 2004
Missouri
Any information on a dual tuner DVR that only requires one satellite input? I want to watch two different dish channels at the same time using PIP on my TV. I have read some about the 942, but I do not have HD. I also do not have a high end system that would justify a lot of $$$$.

Welcome aboard! :welcome

There is no such thing, nor is it possible to ever make such a thing. Each tuner requires it's own input. Now, is it possible to run a single cable from the dish to the back of the box? The answer is yes, under certain conditions.

We'll need more information about why you would care before we can make a decent recommendation. There's 4 different E* receivers that have 2 tuners, or of course, you can just stack 2 separate receivers. It just depends on what your actual objective really is.

Also, please say whether you are currently an E* customer - it makes a difference in the direction we send you.

EDIT: Oh yeah - and if the above is true, what gear do you already have?

I am currently a dishnetwork customer with a dual LNB. A 4900 connected to a JVC AV-36D501 with PIP. I also have a 3900 connected to a Sony. I run the 4900 into the JVC input 1. I use basic cable to get my local channels and run that into the JVC input 2. This permits PIP with limitations, only one input can be dish and the other must be basic cable. I would like to have PIP with any two channels (including local). I know I can buy a dual tuner receiver, change to a quad LNB, run more cables, fish through more walls, and get the locals from dish. Before I take that approach, I wanted to exhaust all other options. I talked to a dish tech on the phone the other day and he said a prototype receiver was out there with a "switch" that would do the same thing as the "switch" in the LNB. That would change my solution to a buy new receiver and get locals from dish. Big improvement and much easier to install.

First, remember that the E* CSRs generally know less about installations than the customers do. :(

No one on any of these boards has even hinted about a "prototype receiver" - and believe me, if it was out there, it would be known here. The next receiver coming is the 942. HD DVR with multiple tuners.

Second, if you have a Dish 500 (2 satellites - 110/119), you have a Twin LNBF, not a Dual. If you only have a Dish 300 (single bird), it's time to upgrade.

If all you want is to be able to access cable on 2 inputs, check to see if your 4900 has a coax pass-through. I know almost nothing about those old boxes, so can't help more.

If you want to be able to see 2 satellite channels at once, then you MUST have 2 satellite tuners available - in a dual-tuner box, or by using multiple boxes.

Finally, to return to what the CSR was saying. On an E* system, you will never have less than one cable per satellite from the LNBF to the switch. With E* moving to multi-satellite (up to 5) setups, if the switch were in the box, you'd have MORE cables coming into the house. Currently, it's one cable per tuner, unless you're a single-bird user, or have a dual-tuner box along with some of the new hardware.

I do have a dish 500 and want to see 2 satellite channels at once. It sounds like I should swap my Twin LNBF for a Quad LNBF, run another cable and either buy another tuner or a dual tuner box. This is helpful, and now it leads to more questions. Can a novice swap the Twin LNBF for a Quad LNBF? Where is the best place to buy the Quad? Can I cap the fourth coax connection on the LNBF? I will use it later, but it needs to go to a second story bedroom and I did not want to take on that project now.

Yes, swapping your Twin for a Legacy Quad is A-OK if you have no need for a 3rd bird (locals in some areas, CBS-HD, Sky Angel, Internationals, etc.). If you're thinking of expansion, consider switching to a DishPro Quad - but that's gonna require DP Adapters (or a DPP44 switch) for your old boxes and they ain't cheap.

Keeping it to the simple Legacy LNBF swap, if you're at all handy you should have no problems. Two screws will loosen the old one. Gently tug it off the arm and you'll see how the cables run. Compare to the Quad and you'll know what to do.

I would run a 4th feed from the dish to somewhere lower - the ground block is a good place to stop at this time. You DO have the dish and cables grounded, don't you? If not, now is the time!

Anyway, once you put the Quad in place of the Twin, everything should work - but you might need to 'peak' the dishes aim. Before you start, record the current signal strength numbers for 110 & 119 transponders 11 & 12 (on both boxes!) so that you have a benchmark. When you're done, run a Check Switch and see how the numbers compare - if about the same, you're done. If not, well, a nudge might be in order. Easy enough to do with patience and care - and someone to call numbers to you from the TV. ;)

Thanks for the information. I am new to using message boards. I never imagined this level of detailed information was available by simply asking. Thanks again.

Oh heck - we'll give you more details than you ever could care about if you let us. :D

Just remember what I said about grounding - it's a must do!!!

for those who care

721 Guide won't come up...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)