Signal Strength Issue on a Coolsat

Status
Please reply by conversation.

smata67

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 26, 2005
I hooked up my abandoned Dish 500 20"" or so dish with dual lnb to the coolsat and works, but I am having to change channels back and forth to get the channel to lock on to GolTv. For example, if I scan through the channel, it will show 5% or so signal strength, won't lock in, get "no audio and video" signal. I have to change the channel back and forth and eventually the signal strength jumps to about 75% (between 70 and 78 or so) all of a sudden. Once it locks in, though, it stays on with no problem, I don't get any signal breakup. This antenna was pointed 5 years ago by a professional DN installer, has not been used since Dec 2003 when I got Voom, worked perfectly with DN. What could be happening?

Also, I am using component cable, my yellow video cable is quite thick and I think the picture is not half bad. Would I notice a difference if I go with s-video? Is the improvement noticeable? I seeing it on a 60" TV.

What kind of LNB's are on the Dish 500?

If its a Legacy, it doesn't work well. I heard some thing that DishPro would work. The best is 2 duals (with no switch in them) :)

Dish 500 Twin w/ CS

Yes, it is an old dish with the twin in a single housing 110 and 119. I guess there is a switch in there. I am running it to another 4x1 switch. Could the dual switches be the problem? I am only interested in GTV, will probably just get rid of the switch on the lnb, will post results.

It does work, though. NASA comes in fine all the time, but I have to jump back and forth until the GTV catches, but when it does catch, it too comes in just fine.

If its a Legacy Twin, it doesn't work right (I tried this once)

If its DishPro, it should work (due to the stacked frequencies)

Follow Up

I pulled the LNB off of my VOOM dish and installed it in the 110 slot of the Dishnetwork holder (with very minor modifications) and it is now picking up GolTV like a champ. Locks in every time. Signal quality and strength of around 80% on a Coolsat.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

CBS East HD and CBS West HD on Telstar6

Broken LNBF, please advise

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)