Shaw Direct No Olympics on Saint Pierre et Miquelon La 1er

Tunacaptain

Original poster
Jul 31, 2022
Brockville Ontario
I frequently watch the La1er channel from St-Pierre et Miquelon to get a France perspective on things.

Interestingly, on Shaw Direct they are not showing the Olympics, rather the France Info channel 24 hours a day. I’m pretty sure the originating channel is showing the Olympics.

I’m sure copyright restrictions are behind this. Strange, though that we are allowed to watch the Olympics on NBC but not from St-Pierre et Miquelon.

The IOC is really strict about rights, but some US network affiliates have clearance to be shown in Canada by the CRTC under rules that only allow substitution if the US program is exactly the same as a Canadian broadcaster's.

Rai News 24 is also blacked out on North American providers like Bell and DIRECTV during the Olympics because they show highlights. BBC News and NHK World replaces footage with still images on their international feeds. Ireland's RTE had to blackout their newscasts and coverage for Northern Ireland viewers on Sky and Freeview, even though many athletes from Northern Ireland compete for Ireland instead of Great Britain.

CBC News Explore's international stream is showing best of programming in the evenings and overnight instead of The National simulcast that Canadian streamers have, and RDI's stream is blacked out for international viewers.

CNBC's Canadian feed has alternate programming while the US feed is showing the Olympics.

Reactions: lordodogg

hdpvr 830

APTN on Bell