Sharing my DVB from the UK?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

daint

Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
Hello,

Apologies if this is the wrong forum, and looking around it seemed the most suitable.

I was looking to stream my DVB reception in the UK to a user in USA, and ask for the same in return (Only way I can think of receiving US channels - except for the one or two on TVUPlayer).

Has anyone ever heard of this sort of thing before? Or how I might go about it?

Also, does anyone know any good software that allows the user to control the channels, while the stream remains the constant (as in - link isn't temporarily broken), also that the bandwidth can be limited to 256/512?

By the way, I have a DVB card, not Slingbox or the like.

Available channels - Freeview - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks

Daint

Yes, I've tried VLC before, and does work ok. Seems to crash quite a bit, but at least it works.

I'm currently using MyTheatre and streaming over my LAN with AV Broadcaster, which is very reliable, but the bandwidth would obviously be a problem over the net (my current provider max upload is 384, looking to move to one offering 768kbps)

streaming a single channel works great using DVBdream and VLC. I use to do it all the time when I worked the night shift. If you are trying to stream an entire mux that may be more difficult due to bandwidth. But, if you had a dedicated PC at a location and remote desktop access, you could easly log in to change channels (like I did from work). If you find the right transcoding to use for the bandwidth that you have, it would work out great.

All i've done is about the same as any singbox user, except with a lot more control. I'm not sure about the legality of sharing a feed with another country.

Love the idea though. If someone could setup a T90 in the UK.....that would be supersweet! It would just suck for blindscaning thought (lack of)

I was thinking of streaming just the one channel, not the mux. The idea was that the user in the US would have complete control of the channel, and watch what they want.

I've been playing with MyTheatre, and that has a web interface which allows changing of the channels, so I can easily just open up the one port on my network.

I also have a satellite dish with DVB-S card which isn't doing a great deal, so I suppose I could, in theory, share this instead of the DVB-T. The benefit I saw with DVB-T over DVB-S was that DVB-S doesn't give all of the UKs five main general entertainment channels, whereas DVB-T gives these and many more.

I still have the same problems though, of transcoding the stream and finding someone in the US to do similar.

I need help on the DVB streaming.
I have a server with a DVB card, so I can capture satellite signal. I have VLC with DVB drivers installed on it. (or it might be any other application enabling to capture satellite and stream to the network).
However, my remote clients need to watch the stream, and I don't know their IPs. So I can't use unicast nor multicast (they might be connected to any wired or wireless network).
The best would be if they could receive the stream as rtsp.
Any help to solve this is appreciated.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Coolsat 6100 Vs Visionsat IV200

New Member please help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)