SG2100 and 31" Dish Help - Yet another...

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I finally got it! Thanks for the help! FTA beams are damn narrow, 2 degrees either way and no more signal ... not like Dishnet/Direct signals... I pick up all birds now - but some TPs are weak, on G10 the TPs with the locals I want get like a 20% signal, but other TPs get 60% ... Any way to increase these? Should I get a Univeral LNB instead of my Standard (I heard Universals have more power???)

Thanks again!
Scott

A standard will usually work better than a universal, but it all depends on the noise value (and the quality of the LNBF) A super low 0.3db Invacom LNBF will kick it up a notch!

Well done!

Your results of G10 are normal. There's some amount of tweaking that can be done with sliding the lnb forward/back and very slight height adjustments on the dish, but if you need better signal/quality I'd recommend a lower noise lnb (0.3dB Invacom) or a larger dish. I have a 76cm dish and am upgrading in part to that precise reason.... DTV birds are the FTA equivelent of angry, squawking neighbors; it's the quieter, harder-to-hear ones that have something worthwhile to hear :D

Thanks again guys! As always ....

Heres my LNB Specs :

Standard single LNBF

FREQUENCY RANGE HIGH BAND 11.70 ~ 12.2 GHz
L.O. FREQUENCY 10.75 GHz
L.O. FREQUENCY STABILITY +/-1.0 MHz (MAX.) @ +25 degree C
OUTPUT FREQUENCY RANGE 950~1500 MHz
NOISE FIGURE: 0.6 dB (max)
CONVERSION GAIN 53 dB (min.), 63 dB (MAX.)
GAIN FLATNESS +/- 0.5dB / 26 MHz
L.O. PHASE NOISE 50dBc / Hz @ 1 KHz : -75dBc / Hz @ 10 KHz : -95dBc / Hz @ 100 KHz
CROSS POL. ISOLATION 20 dB (min.) (AGC OFF)
OUTPUT POWER 0 dBm (AT 1 dB GAIN COMPRESSION)
IMAGE REJECTION 40 dB (min.)
OUTPUT VSWR 2.5:1
3 RD ORDER INTERCEPT OUTPUT 15 dBm
MAX. IN BAND SPURIOUS LEVEL 65dBm (MAX.)
DC CURRENT CONSUMPTION 120 mA (MAX.)
LOW/HIGH BANS SWITCHING 0/22 KHz
POL. SWITCHING VOLTAGE VERTICAL @ 12.0 ~ 14.0V HORIZONTAL @ 16.0 ~ 20.0 V
OUTPUT CONNECTION F-TYPE (female), 75W
OPERATING TEMPERATURE -40 degrees C ~ +60 degrees

Im assuming that noise at .6 would be my issue and that a .3 would be 25% or more better?

Lower noise floor. As I understand it (somone correct me if I'm way off on this) it reduces the background noise so you can pick up the weaker signals. Here's an example from my setup: I get 58-63% Signal that's just "background noise." If a weak transponder only has 40-50% Signal level, I'll never be able to see it or use it. A 0.3dB lnb would lower that background noise and I'd then hopefully be able to see that transponder! A good combo is larger dish and lower dB lnb... that way, the bigger dish boosts the transponder signals, the lower noise lnb catchers weaker transponders, and overall you get very impressive results! (Read: I'm upgrading from a 0.6dB/76cm to a 0.3dB/120cm :) )

I guess thats why the .3 LNBs go for $30 instead of $10 - You get what you pay for.... Thanks for the help and explanation

So, now my internal conflict - Will the .3 lower noise LNB be worth $30 in TP gains....

a larger dish will do just as good as a lower LNB

I've used a .5 & a .4 and there is a little difference (see the thread on that)...working on the .3 comparison :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Another (newbie) FTA question - Local TV stations

WIN AN Invacom SNH-031 LNBF * LAST CHANCE *

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts