SG-2100 motors...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tron

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 6, 2005
Metro New Orleans, LA
It is VERY important when installing the SG-2100 motor to FIRST tighten the square U-bolts and bracket to the pole BEFORE tightening the motor to the bracket. If you don't, it can cause hairline stress fractures to the motor casing. Please see attached pic...

Don't know what I'm going to have to do here, I'm pretty sure moisture could enter the motor casing through these fractures and ruin my motor prematurely. Does anyone have any ideas? I might have to buy a new motor :(

I feel SO stupid....

And the best part is, I'm tracking the arc PERFECTLY! Oh well, if I got it set right once, I can do it again...

Tron
Resident Idiot

EDIT: The fracture is just above and to the right of the DMSI sticker, about center of the picture. It radiates from the part of the motor where the bolt is secured...

Moderator edit: Renamed thread as not to give people the wrong idea.

Attachments

• Fracture.jpg
    Fracture.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 241
  • maybenot.jpg
    maybenot.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 217
Either that or Epoxy *MIGHT* work, but then you've gotta figure the motor casing has been weakened and the fracture could get worse with stress from operation, wind load, etc...

Going back to the wall now to continue to bang my head :no

Tron
Resident Idiot

you know what.. I just checked my motor that I recieved today (thanks again PSB!).. I have the exact same mark, and I havent even done anything with it (its still sitting in the box)...

it looks like you have nothing to worry about, its just a casting mark.

I'll try that. I just got the thing up and running, works great! And I was very happy that I was able to see more of the arc than I had anticipated... Didn't have a tree blockage I thought I'd have, and can see from 61.5 through to past 130....

I'm getting a headache....

Tron
Resident Idiot

EDIT: Ultatryon, didn't see your last edit... Thanks! That makes me feel better... Does anyone else notice this mark? There's another on the other side of the motor, but not as long or visible... Pictures?

Try drilling a small hole in ech end of the crack, it might prevent i from cracking anymore. Then seal it up.

Wholeshoe

yea, I see one on the other side as well, not as long.. like 1/16" of an inch, versus the 1/4" on the other side.

This is definately not a fracture, just a casting mark.

*WHEW*! Thanks Ultatryon! This is a major relief. I've been down all day because I thought I'd ruined my new motor.

Can you get a pic of the marks, just to fully put my mind to ease? :D

Thanks! :bow

Tron

I will tomorrow, I forgot to bring my camera home with me tonight... and the motor is going up tomorrow morning, so tomorrow night I will snap some images of it (of course after mounting)

I just went up to put my new Invacom .3dB lnb on (yes, in the dark, at 12am, lol) and spotted the exact markings on my SG2100. I tried getting some camera shots, but my camera just laughed at me and they all came out blurry :rolleyes:

Just wanted to let you know you did nothing wrong; the SG2100 is a pretty well-made strong-cased motor, and the lines you see apparently come "standard" with many of them :D

CharredPC said:
I just went up to put my new Invacom .3dB lnb on (yes, in the dark, at 12am, lol) and spotted the exact markings on my SG2100. I tried getting some camera shots, but my camera just laughed at me and they all came out blurry :rolleyes:

Oh, I always align my dish at night or during the early morning hours! One reason is that in New Orleans, it's SO HOT during the day that you get the same feeling that a loaf of bread must feel like while baking in an oven when you're on a roof :)

Also, I can see the monitor screen much easier at night (I bring my receiver and a monitor up there to peak my dishes). The neighbors must think I've lost my mind....

Oh well.

Thanks again guys, and looking forward to the pics!

Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that the equipment was at fault, I was thinking that I'd overstressed the whole case by tightening the bolts too much.

I also managed to strip one of the square U-bolts, the nut cross-threaded and I thought that my attempts to wrench it free had caused too much stress. I ended up breaking the U-bolt that got cross-threaded, so I'll have to replace it. Guess its time to get that bolt kit from DMSI.....

Luckily, the other one is still in good shape and is holding the motor for now. I've gotta learn not to tighten things up too much...

Not a problem, didn't want people to get the wrong idea :)
The U-bolts are easily stripped, I replaced mine 2 weeks ago because I overtightened them.
True-Value also sell compatible bolts which I mentioned in a recent thread, you'll need to buy 4 spacers or you'll run out of thread unless you're using a very large pole. I recommend the DMSI bolts unless you're in a hurry.
Don't use anything other than square U-bolts otherwise you'll pull the bracket out of shape and that'll ruin your whole arc.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=71380&highlight=stripped

Thanks! I remember that other thread when Ice posted his bolt pic, and checked it earlier. The part number for the bolt package is SG2100PT5...

It's really not an immediate need as the one bolt up there is holding temporarily, and I'd rather not use a different size bolt and drill into the bracket, so I'll try to secure the DMSI kit...

I ordered a set of the bolts to replace them on my setup.....

The motor still tracks the arc fine, but I'll be swapping them bolts out one of these days :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Local Affiliates and Sports Games

The Tube

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)