Setup issues

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Use the compass as a guide, find 180 deg. Then look at 162 deg. (Mag. Dev.= -18) and thats where you want to be pointing the dish to find G10R (Your True South Bird). But use the signal quality meter to find it, a compass is used just to get you in the ballpark!

Thanks, all of you, for your nice help. I really appreciate!

Mike

Hi,

One more basic question: if the south marked on map is the true south or magnetic south?

If it is true south, I can find a Satellite picture of my neighborhood, find a point about 2 or 3 blocks away which is the straight south from the point my dish is located and point to it. It will be much accurate than using a compass! How do you think?

One of the free satellite picture service is at: terraserver.microsoft.com and it is a free public service! Type your address and you will see your back yard!

Mike

Very cool web site! I will be using it, THANKS! There used to be a similar service on Mapquest but they removed it : ( I used to check out customers homes before I set out to judge if they were going to have line of sight to a satellite!

If you look at the "Satfinder" readout I gave you, then look at the top it gives you both Mag. And True azimuth values. Maps give Magnetic south so you still have to take into account Mag. Deviation in your neck of the woods.

I would use your true south satellite to find True south, and bust the bank and get a compass. You will get a lot of use from it for $5 - $10

Enter the coordinates to a Live broadcasting channel on your true south satellite and use the signal QUALITY meter to find the satellite. Thats the way most people find it, but do what works best for you : )

Iceberg said:
true south is actually 180...hence true south :)

the magnetic deviation is only for a fixed system

OK, I thought I was getting this whole thing.. I have a motorized dish, and have been trying to find SBS6 189.4 Az(Magnetic).. From area code 21921.. Which PSB kindly copied the SAT locations for me.

My question is am I pointing in the right direction or should I be pointing at 177.1 Az(True), this is with a compass of course..

Thanks in advance.. As I have thought I was onthe right path.. :shocked
Rick

Point compass to south (Mag.) 180 deg.

Then refer to the below, add or subtract the (Mag. Dev.) value in your area from 180 and without moving the compass look and see where the true south will be.....

http://emantechnology.com/magnetdecln.htm

Remember this only gets you in the ball park in the sky, then use signal quality meter...

PSB said:
Point compass to south (Mag.) 180 deg.

Then refer to the below, add or subtract the (Mag. Dev.) value in your area from 180 and without moving the compass look and see where the true south will be.....

http://emantechnology.com/magnetdecln.htm

Remember this only gets you in the ball park in the sky, then use signal quality meter...

OK I think I got it, which explains why I have found a few birds, however off from where I think they should be. Thanks.. You guys rock.. Will have more time over the weekend to try and tune in the belt again.. But NOW, I think I understand..

Wahoo.. Getting There..
Rick

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dvr501

Before I Go Fta I Want To Know What Indan Channels Are Available

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)