Senators Aim to Save EchoStar's 'Distant' HD Signals

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
http://www.tvpredictions.com/echodistant111706.htm

Two senators sponsor a bill to prevent the shut-off, but little time is left in the session.
By Phillip Swann

Washington, D.C. (November 17, 2006) -- Two U.S. senators have introduced legislation to prevent EchoStar's Dish Network from being forced to turn off 'distant' High-Definition TV signals to its subscribers.

A federal judge ruled last month that EchoStar must stop sending distant network signals to 800,000 subscribers. The ruling, which becomes effective on December 1, covers high-def signals as well as standard definition feeds. Signals from CBS, ABC, Fox and NBC are affected.

Sens. Patrick Leahy (D-VT) and Wayne Allard (R-CO) offered a bill yesterday to "ensure that certain eligible EchoStar DISH Network customers that are able to receive distant network signals under current law will continue to receive them."

The senators asked Congress to act immediately on the bill, but that appears unlikely. Lawmakers are scheduled to begin a Thanksgiving recess today and will not return until December 5. In addition, the current congressional session is scheduled to expire at year's end.

Realizing that federal relief may be delayed, EchoStar announced a few weeks ago that it had begun turning some distant signals off. The satcaster asked Congress for help.

At issue is EchoStar's practice of providing "distant" network signals to subscribers who say they can't get their local networks by other means, such as an off-air antenna. The satellite service offers feeds from network affiliates in New York and Los Angeles to those customers.

However, local stations have objected, saying their ratings are hurt when viewers watch the "distant" signals instead of theirs. EchoStar earlier this year agreed to a $100 million settlement with affiliates of NBC, ABC and CBS, but Fox rejected the deal.

Ergen told the web site that subscribers in Pennsylvania, Vermont, Arkansas, Hawaii, Kentucky, Tennessee, Oregon, Montana and Utah "will be most affected by this shutoff."

The Leahy-Allard bill would block the court's action and possibly re-open negotiations between EchoStar and Fox.

"Without distant signals, many satellite subscribers around the country will not be able to watch a network affiliate, which is a primary source of news, sports and entertainment for many," said Allard who represents the Colorado-based EchoStar.

However, the National Association of Broadcasters, who has opposed EchoStar, called the Leahy-Allard bill "a bailout by Congress of a habitual copyright infringer that has skimmed millions of dollars infringing copyrights and violating the law on a nationwide basis for eight years or more."

The NAB said EchoStar customers who lose the distant signals can still watch network programming via an off-air antenna or another TV provider, such as cable or DIRECTV.

The Leahy-Allard bill would block the court's action and possibly re-open negotiations between EchoStar and Fox.

That's the key, Fox was the lone holdout, with this bill the Senate is telling Fox, either negotiate or we'll open up your channels for you.

I bet that Fox caves in a few weeks.

Yeah its simple when it comes to locals! If you let one provider offer them you half to let everyone else due to the rules apply to everyone. :)

rayburn45 said:

That's the key, Fox was the lone holdout, with this bill the Senate is telling Fox, either negotiate or we'll open up your channels for you.

I bet that Fox caves in a few weeks.
Fox caves to what? There won't be any negotiations at all.

The only thing going on here is trying to start a new copyright license from Congress. There is no need for negotiation.

And, in case you've missed this emergency bill, the only people that would receive distant network service would be those in areas without local service and outside of Grade B range of the network affiliates. Since Dish Network covers 95 percent of the households in the US, distant network service will only be truly available to 5 percent of the households, and they still have to qualify correctly.

Since Dish Network covers 95 percent of the households in the US, distant network service will only be truly available to 5 percent of the households, and they still have to qualify correctly.

What makes you think that E* will obey this new regulation? They didn't follow the old law.

I'll reserve judgment until I see the new law. Then again, I could simply say since Dish Network didn't follow the old law, you're right; they'll break this one in five seconds. :)

What happened to the "special" contract that CBS supposedly had with E*? Will the doubters now admit that this service is going away or will it take another Charlie announcement to convince them?

What happened to the "special" contract that CBS supposedly had with E*? Will the doubters now admit that this service is going away or will it take another Charlie announcement to convince them?
I'm not sure I am or was a "doubter" but rather maybe a "not knower".

Anyway, although I haven't checked the thread today, it didn't look like anyone that has lost their distants so far, has also lost the CBS-HD feed (if they had it to begin with).

That may change but it doesn't make sense that Dish would pull just the analog dns and leave the CBS-HD if it was governed by the same injunction.

It takes both houses of Congress to pass a bill(law) and the House of Rep. is in recess until the begining of December. Don't get excited nothing has changed Dec.1,2006 is still the turn off date.

Help! looking for advice

Another Moving question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)