Season Pass and HD Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Gator5000e

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 16, 2004
Orlando, Florida
Sorry if this has been asked and answered but I searched and did not find an answer.

I am new to the DVR world - just got the HD DVR from D* in the new special offer. When I set up a season pass, will the TiVO automatically look for the show in HD or do I have to set it up through the HD channel to record in HD.

For example, I will be recording the new season of Lost. If I just go through the Season Pass set up, will TiVo find my local station and record the HD broadcast (channel 9-1) or will it just record the SD broadcast (channel 9)?

Thanks for any responses if anyone understands my question!!

The season pass is dependent on which station you set the season pass on.

so for Lost, if you set it up on your SD station then it will record that, but if you setup Lost on a staton that provides HD then you'll get it in HD (prolly 9.1 if you are using a OTA antenna).

If you use the search option and look for a show by name you will be presented a list of stations that match that show name, and you'd pick the station that provides the HD version of that show.

For example I enjoy HBO Boxing in HD. To make sure I get Boxing from HBO in HD I have to set my season pass to record Boxing on the HBO HD station (70). If I just set the season pass for boxing on regular HBO then I'll just get the SD version of the show.

Also, a nice feature of the HDTivo is that when it finds duplicate listings of a show, it will clearly label them as such

AMERICAN CHOPPER (76 DSHD)
AMERICAN CHOPPER (278 DSC)

--or--

LOST (ABC WXYZ Channel 9)
LOST (WXYZDT)

You would want to select the DT version of any off-air signal to get the HD, if it is offered in HD. Or if you are one of the select few who will soon (if not already) be getting HD LIL, it may not make a difference, as I doubt that D* will continue to feed you your SD locals when you have the HD upgrade.

Speaking of OTA, has anyone else noticed it takes forever for the guide to update the local OTA's? I'm wanting to set up a SP for "Threshold" that comes out on the 16th. My guide data STILL doesn't have it in there, even though it shows guide data until the 18th now. The guide does show it under the local that comes in off the sat, but of course that's in SD.

Do you guys have this same problem?

Did you call their DNS department to see if you qualify for the NY HD feeds? It's worth a shot. I thought I wouldn't qualify and while talking to a CSR he just transferred me to the DNS dept and in 2 minutes they said I qualified for all four (from LA cause I'm on the west coast). Just give it a shot! Good luck.

Gator5000e said:
Thanks for that tip. No I am not so lucky to get the locals in HD. Orlando will be waiting a while, I am sure.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Thanks to VE

After my D* CSR fiasco, I checked out Dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)