Searching for Signal on Sat 2 (771) Message

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cspiteri

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 14, 2004
On occasion I will get the titled message when tuning to HD channels, Resetting my HR-24 will solve the problem for a few days. My software is dated 7/7.
I have a Slimline 5 lnb dish connected to the single receiver. My cable runs are approximately 30 feet.
Is this a software or hardware issue?? If hardware, where should I be looking??

On occasion I will get the titled message when tuning to HD channels, Resetting my HR-24 will solve the problem for a few days. My software is dated 7/7.
I have a Slimline 5 lnb dish connected to the single receiver. My cable runs are approximately 30 feet.
Is this a software or hardware issue?? If hardware, where should I be looking??

How many coax cables are going into the back of your DVR? Is this a single family home or shared complex? What are your sat signals on both lines?

2 cables, single family, signals in the mid90s............

Sounds like one of the cables or connections is compromised (water might've got in) or the LNB is failing.. I would check all of the connections (at the LNB and ground block especially) first, those 'seals' they use on the coax ends do more harm than good because they trap any water that seeps in, causing corrosion. Best thing would be to replace all the ends, but you need a compression tool to do it, you can't use crimps or twist-ons. Do you have the protection plan?

I have recently replaced the connectors with new compression connectors. I do not have the protection plan.

Just throwing this out there because I'm not sure but if you only have 1 receiver hooked up to a slimline LNB 5 do you need the four lines coming from the dish going into a switch first, prior to the 2 lines going into the HD-DVR? For some reason I was under the impression that if you had less than 4 tuners you needed the 4 lines going to a switch prior to any coax going to a receiver.

There are only 2 lines from the Slimline, bot going directly to the HR-24

That's what I'm not really sure on.....do you actually need 4 lines from the Slimline to a switch and then 2 lines from the switch to your HR-24.

Hoping someone else chimes in to clarify this.
Just throwing this out there because I'm not sure but if you only have 1 receiver hooked up to a slimline LNB 5 do you need the four lines coming from the dish going into a switch first, prior to the 2 lines going into the HD-DVR? For some reason I was under the impression that if you had less than 4 tuners you needed the 4 lines going to a switch prior to any coax going to a receiver.

No the old SL5 has a multiswitch built in, so it can directly drive up to 4 receivers. External switch is required for more than 4 or when converting to SWiM. External switches function just like they did with the old dual-output LNBs.. In order to ensure all TPs are available to all receivers, they lock each LNB to one of the signals (18v and 13v, with and without the 22kHz tone)

I am having the same problems with the same setup and my software is the same version as the poster. I can let you know the out come Tuesday, I purchased the protection plan after the first receiver was replaced but haven't had any luck, resetting my receiver no longer helps either.

I have had 3 service calls (including the one Tuesday) for this problem. I have had 2 receivers replaced, 2 SWM power inverters replaced, two splitters replaced, the coax replaced (dish into the house), the deca module (when I had the Hr23). This started in March stopped working in May and now again in July. My problem is that the same person that installed it also services it so this time a actual tech will be here and hopefully it gets fixed. No offense to the previous installer/tech he is always nice and professional but it maybe above and beyond what he knows.

You have a bad LNB. The other guy should've caught that, but I will concede that SWiM problems aren't like legacy problems, and if you don't know the quirks they can lead to a lot of head/butt scratching. It took two calls to figure out I had a bad LNB, because the 771 keyed onto one receiver and happened no matter where in the house it was hooked up (obvious cause was a bad receiver). Receiver was replaced, then 771 moved to another receiver. System was rebooted, all appeared fine, tech went on his way. Didn't notice that the 771 was still there on HR24 tuner 2 until it couldn't record. Called again, explained situation to second tech, and he said right away it was a bad LNB. Replaced it and no problems since (except the replacement was one that can't take sub-zero, and I started losing signal on the cold nights this winter - so I'm actually on my third LNB).

I`m sorry to hear that I`m not the only one with this problem. I hope some experienced tech can determine the root cause so I can incorporate the "fix" as I don`t have the protection plan.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Qustion about sat 110

Interested in DirecTV but don't have great credit

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)