scpc & Fta

Status
Please reply by conversation.

icstephen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 4, 2005
Canton, Oh
Ok I am (as soon as it arrives) going to have my first FTA system and I was wondering about scpc radio...is it even available on fta or is it only available on analog c-band? If it is available on FTA do most/some receivers pick it up? or do you need a separate scpc receiver and if you do how difficult is it to connect to the FTA receiver?

Now all that being said...I don't know if scpc is still being used but it was kind of cool back in the early 90's to play with...the main reason I want this is for all the local radio stations that used to be up there (I'm a radio nerd...sorry)...I tend to think that the Internet may have made scpc useless but I thought I would ask....because if anyone would know you guys would. If it is available is there a list of whats up there somewhere?

Thanks
Steve

There is some audio on ku-band, a few radio stations and a few talk networks. There are also a lot of foreign language services and the Music Choice music channels are up there. The best source of info is www.lyngsat.com. The FTA receivers have a switch for "radio" and it is interesting to listen to these services.

I'm not sure if scpc is being used anymore. The radio station I work for replaced the scpc receivers (for state network, farm network, sports) with a digital receiver several years ago. And that is c-band, not ku-band. I'm not sure if it's encrypted, but I don't think the receivers are available to the public. Other stuff for radio stations (CBS, ABC, Westwood One, etc) is all encrypted and on c-band.

Yea it looks like most of the scpc stuff is gone, I know that all of the stations I worked at in the past few years all used the star guide 3...and when we uplinked it was all done through a router in the studio, but we had about 10 star guides in the rack room. I would love to have one of those...I used to love searching around when I worked on the weekend or late night. I really liked the star guide but on a stormy day or during sun spots those digital blurps would always make me nervous. On the plus side allot of stations are now on the net...plus all of the new multi-cast HD stations.

Steve

MRN and PRN may still use SCPC.

DVB radio networks on AMC 3 - C 17 are MCPC and probably mostly religious in nature.

There seems to be some radio on analog subcarriers on the VideoCipher channels.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

any inexpensive way to get Ku-band DigicipherII programs?

Basic Question?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)