Status
Please reply by conversation.

SatinKzo

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 22, 2004
Louisiana
I scored a free 1.2meter fortec dish today, saw it while I was taking my daughter for a bike ride and the owner was outside so I asked if he was using it (never saw the dish before and I've been down the street many times). He said no, he was gonna take it to scrap yard. I asked if I could have it and he said I could. It's mounted above the garage off an old antenna tower. He said I could come get it on Wednesday as he is home all day and he'll help me bring it down.

Long story short, he asked me about digital TV transition, we spoke for a bit and I told him about my gray-hoverman I made and he asked if I could help him with their tv's and get them ready and maybe build them one of the gray-hoverman's like I have. Figured sure why not you are giving me a free dish :)

So anyways, the dish is in really good shape, it almost looks brand new, the guy is a new owner of the house and said the dish was there when he moved in a couple weeks ago and has no clue why the seller didn't take it as they said they wanted it as it was just installed not long ago but he called them and they said they couldn't use it in their new neighborhood.

So that's my good story, now for my question. Can I use my existing SG2100 motor with this dish, with a modified motor arm or a sleeve (I think the dish needs a bigger arm to attach too based on what I see on sadoun site). Also, if I can get it to mount, will the SG2100 handle it? I know the specs on the sg2100 say it can do up to 1.2m, but I think the dish is more like 30-35lbs and IIRC the sg2100 is rated up to 28lbs or something.

Or should I just order a new dg380 motor from sadoun to be safe?

Ah, now to figure out where to move my 90cm to and compliment my 80cm at 74w. Any suggestions on where to point the 90cm dish stationary? If I could just get the neighbors tree to fall I'd have a clear shot at hispasat. Still keeping my eye out for a c-band dish, but I'll definitely have fun and can't complain.

Don't know if that 2100 will handle it for long, but I'm pretty sure that 380 would, I have one, and I'm happy with it's strength. Metal dish will weigh more than a 1m primestar though but should still be within the range for the 380. Gotta do a search now, to see what exactly a gray hoverman is , missed out on that one.

Don't know if that 2100 will handle it for long, but I'm pretty sure that 380 would, I have one, and I'm happy with it's strength. Metal dish will weigh more than a 1m primestar though but should still be within the range for the 380. Gotta do a search now, to see what exactly a gray hoverman is , missed out on that one.

Thanks guys. Ordered a new motor.

turbo, here is a link to where I did all my reading
The Gray-Hoverman Antenna For UHF Television Reception - Digital Home Canada

Btw, don't let it fool you with UHF only, I get 2-13 just fine on it. Only antenna I have used so far to reliably pull in digital 2 for me. Btw, I don't use a reflector.
I have a pic of my preliminary build here
http://www.satelliteguys.us/hd-over-air-ota/156778-gray-hoverman-homemade-antenna.html

Very simple, little wind profile etc.

thanks satin, I need one that will pull in ch 6 and 13 around here, the stores sell lots of amplified antennas that do the UHF but are kind of weak on VHF digital.

Well, I have 3 stations below 8 here. I have digital 2, 5, 7 and all come in splendidly at about 30-35 mile distance with this antenna. Really sucks, only thing I get when the transition occurs is digital 2 is going to digital 8. Channel on 2 was killing me until I built this antenna. Then I canceled all pay TV services and haven't been happier.

Heck, 6 and 13, you could use twin-lead and build custom dipoles. I did that with channel 7 one day to prove it someone how easy it was. I did it for channel 2 once, but it was bit bulky :)
http://www.wfu.edu/~matthews/misc/dipole.html

I may try to build one like yours and one from the PDF too, I have most of the parts already, except enough copper wire. And I have to figure out what the 4-way thing is on the diagram, I looked in the hardware store today, but they didn't have any pvc connectors that went 4ways.

They are common, should be easy to find, I think they are just called crosses or something.

I may try to build one like yours and one from the PDF too, I have most of the parts already, except enough copper wire. And I have to figure out what the 4-way thing is on the diagram, I looked in the hardware store today, but they didn't have any pvc connectors that went 4ways.
Turbo, I built this one for the upstairs TV. It is in the back attic about 10-15 feet below the antenna on the roof, and I get channel 7, which is 45-50 miles away, most of the time OK as well as the local UHF channels, which are also from the same area. I used an old window screen though for the reflector instead of the tinfoil covered board. How to build a HDTV Antenna....CHEAP!

Congratulations, good find. I think the previous owner is now happy that his dish has found a good home.

Actually I think the previous owner wishes he still had it, but according to the owner of the house, the guy said he couldn't take it with him like he planned. Glad I asked about it before it went to recycling.

Can't wait to go over and get it tonight.

Got everything down today. Looks in good shape. Just looking at it, I'm glad I didn't have to assemble it. Well actually doesn't look bad, but how the heck does one get the u-bolts into the bracket? Looks like you would have had to expand the metal to get them in there. Seems like a bad design by fortec.

Now to find time to get everything cleaned up and mounted when my motor arrives.

Got my DG380 from Sadoun, gonna get this thing mounted today. I'm pretty excited, hope the rain holds off until I get out there.

Maybe after I get things going, I'll order a C/Ku band lnb to play mini-bud for the fun of it.

Actually I think the previous owner wishes he still had it, but according to the owner of the house, the guy said he couldn't take it with him like he planned. Glad I asked about it before it went to recycling.

Can't wait to go over and get it tonight.

Nice find. Make the best of it. :D

I just got everything mounted working. Testing it out now. Had to work in between the rain today. I'll try to snap pics tomorrow.

That DG380 motor is nice.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TSReader

NSS-9 Launch on NatGeo - Worlds Toughest Fixes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts