scaler ring on c/ku band feed

Status
Please reply by conversation.

chadg2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2006
Maiden Rock, WI
I have a old 10' fiberglass dish with button hook feed and I'm not using the dish at this time, but the other day I was using it to try out a new lnbf I got and the signal strength doesn't change no matter where slide the scaler ring. On my button hook the lnbf mounts directly to the button hook using a clamp and the scaler ring free floats where ever I put it. On my mesh dish the scaler ring mounts to the (4) tubes reaching out from the edges of the dish and can't be moved. Just wondering how important the scaler ring is and where exactly it should be placed in a free float environment. No numbers at all on the LNBF, it's just smooth. Thanks, Chad

Chad most of the C/Ku LNBs I've seen have somewhere around 1/2 to 1" sticking out of the scaler ring. I don't think this dimension is all that critical but the FD is.

When looking for sats you need to pay attention to Quality strength more so than Signal strength as you can have a ton of S and zero Q and you will have nothing to look at.

It won't have any affect on Ku.
But for C-band, assuming your LNBF is centered on the dish (big challenge with an old button hook)...
Get a weak/noisy signal without the scalar.
Slide the LNBF toward & away from the dish looking for best signal quality.
Lock it down, and don't move it again.

Then put the scalar on and slide it forward and backward 1/8" at a time looking for best signal quality.
May not show much difference if you're on a really strong /solid transponder.
Start out where Lone Gunman said, above.
And if you can't detect any difference, leave it where he suggested.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Half Bricked S9?

The "Farm" Grows, and with it, a question or two...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)