Satellite Dish Setup

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Earle Spence

Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
Estcourt, KZN. South Africa
I have just purchased a portable mini dish (380mmH x 350mmW), with no elevation scale. How do I calculate the 'built-in offset angle'? Dishpointer.com gives the elevation as 36,1* and azimuth(M) as 82,3*E- this very different from the recommended Azimuth of 68*E. Our DSTV Satellite is 68,5*E Intelsat 10 (IS-10) I Intelsat 7 (IS-7). Which is the correct reading/setup. I would be grateful for any help!:confused:

I am surprised there is no elevation scale. Since we here are unfamiliar with the dish, maybe some pictures would offer some clues. If you have the azimuth, might just have to slowly "pan and scan" around the sky.
Doing some quick calculations, the offset for a dish with those dimensions, is ~ 23°.
So for a satellite at an elevation of 36.1° the dish face would be angled back from vertical ~13° = 77°. Should be fairly close If the dimensions are the reflective surface and not including any "lip" around the perimeter.

A 38CM x 35CM dish is meant for DirecTV or Dish Network, and will probably not work at all for FTA signals. The LNB is the wrong type (circular insteaed of linear), and the dish is too small.

The op is in South Africa. Doubt that they have any circular polarity LNBFs available there.

DSTV EIRP is 55dB for South Africa. Compare that to only 48.5 dB of G19 for the US. Yes, the dish is slightly undersized, but it should work fine for this strong of signal.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

2 new RTV feeds on ses2

Ku-band C120 feed/LNB on 5' spun aluminum prime focus dish

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)