Satellite Dish Distance

clauder

Original poster
Sep 17, 2006
The only suitable location for a satellite dush is towards the back of my property, which is ~ 120’ from the house. Is there any possible chance of getting a decent signal by placing the dish this far from the receiver? I think the answer is no, but I’m hoping …

R/
Claude

My Dish Network Superdish is about that distance, and I have no problems. It's then approx. another 40' from where it gets to the house to go up the wall, through the attic, and then down through the interior wall to my receiver.

I would imagine that this is dish dependent, with all of the different sizes & types of dishes, LNBs etc.

Contact a local installer with experience in your area and get some opinions.

When running a dish a long distance away I run a wire from each lnbf to the room where the receiver(s) are at and connect them to the switch there. This way it does the switching close to the receiver instead of far away from it through a long distance of wire. I would think that there would be less to go wrong this way. It does not hurt to run extra wire just to be on the safe side too. I ran three wires 200 feet to a SuperDish and it worked just fine, having the switches where the receivers are at in the house.

I have had NO Problems with installs with cable runs of 200'

Use the BEST (Quad shield) cable you can get of course :)

Stargazer said:
When running a dish a long distance away I run a wire from each lnbf to the room where the receiver(s) are at and connect them to the switch there.

Great idea, since the first point of failure in long runs seems to be IR drop in the coax run preventing the switches from seeing high enough control voltages ... going to store that idea in my bag of tricks.

It has worked great for me so far and it never hurts to have extra wires ran. It is like having insurance. If you have to run the wire in the ground then I would highly recommend putting it through tubes that way you can replace or add wires in the future. This is what I have done and put several extra wires in there for future use. One of these days I may have myself quite the satellite farm, wi-fi internet setup, and other communicative devices that may come in the future.

You guys are great! I was thinking of using a flexible conduit to got from the dish to the entry point in the house and then fish the coax cable thru it. Does that make sense?

Again, very useful dialog. Many thanks

NBCHD Live at Five news in HD

Any Word On Starz On-Demand?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)