Samsung SIR-TS360 - DD 5.1 and Local Channel HD Problems

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Giff10

Original poster
Dec 20, 2004
I have had DirecTV for 8 years but I am new to the whole world of HD Sat. and need some help. I just bought the Samsung HD box and have everything working as far as the DirecTV HD channels, but I am having no luck with picking up the local HD channels with antennae.

I am also having no luck with getting the Samsung to put out a DD 5.1 sgnal to my reciever even when the guide indicates that the channel should be in DD. I get PCM Digital but no DD.

Equipment:

Toshiba 62HM84 - DLP
Samsung SIR-TS360
Onkyo 797 (Hooked to the Samsung with Monster Optical)
Terk Indoor Power Antennae.

As far ad DD 5.1, most D* boxes have a setting that defaults to PCM. I don't have a Samsung box, but I bet if you look at the setup menu, you will find such an option.

OTA reception if much more complex. It all depends on your specific situation, and your best bet is a new (perhaps outdoor) antenna. You can start here:

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx

This site will recommend the correct type of OTA antenna you would need to get. Good luck.

Joe

It's been awhile since I had this unit but if I remember correctly. The default is PCM sound and you have to go into the menu to switch to DDigital. Also to pull in your locals you have to go into the menu and select what type of stations to scan then have it scan. After it scans and reboots they should be there.

I have the same reciever, and twodutys has it right as far as I can remember. You have to go into the setup menu, tell the reciever that you want sat & OTA channels, then do a scan on available channels.
As for the DD 5.1, same thing... go into the menu and take the thing off of PCM.
Don't forget to pull the plug and re-boot the box after you save the changes and exit the setup menu though; the box seems to require it for the switch in the audio output.

As for the OTA, let me tell you from experience that an indoor antenna is a bad way to go. I went through antenna hell before I gave in and spent the money on a Channelmaster.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Transponder Trouble

Programming

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)