RG6 Cabling Requirements for Hopper vs DPP

Here is a pic of the area the higher frequency range runs. Lets hope it'll work for you guys with panels.

I will tell you the installers are not supposed to use it if its not marked, your experience may vary.

And that is only from node to hopper, joeys arent as picky.

Appreciate words of encouragement. Since new internal coax is not an option, it is "my way or the highway." I guess we could always sign some sort of release holding Dish harmless if it does not work.

I'll have to check my RG-6. I picture an installer showing up and saying all my carefully run internal coax is no good, and him planning on running new coax on the outside of the house. That ain't gonna happen. I probably should greet him with a paper for him to sign, him acknowledging that he is not allowed to drill a hole or mount anything on the outside of the house.

H/J just might not be for me. It would take a long time to rerun that coax with higher quality stuff. Frankly, the reel I bought at Home Depot seemed to be of higher quality than what I bought at an electrical supply house.

This is something Dish needs to consider as they enter the age of Hopper/Joey. The big plus is using "existing" home wiring for whole-house DVR. It is not realistic to even suggest that non-rated RG6 be replaced instead of trying to use it. DIRT needs to pass along my suggestion for a release form in case existing wiring causes problems.

wait a minute... didn't we read or hear that the interconnection wiring could be rg-59 or rg-6? it's in my brain that way so it had to come from somewhere.

This is something Dish needs to consider as they enter the age of Hopper/Joey. The big plus is using "existing" home wiring for whole-house DVR. It is not realistic to even suggest that non-rated RG6 be replaced instead of trying to use it. DIRT needs to pass along my suggestion for a release form in case existing wiring causes problems.
technically, the type of RG6 is not mentioned in any of the training documents that i've seen so far.

If it was really THAT important, you would think it would have been posted many times over in those documents. I can understand all new RG6 needs to be 3Ghz certified cable, but it does seem excessive to replace existing RG6 cable that in most cases is probably fine.

Just remember, even if your existing RG6 coax were "twice as bad" with higher frequency attenuation compared to the new 3 GHZ-rated coax, it would still be able to pass the required signals so long as you ensure the length of your RG6 coax runs between the Node and each Hopper do not exceed one-half of the approved lengths for 3 GHZ-rated coax.

It would take a long time to rerun that coax with higher quality stuff. Frankly, the reel I bought at Home Depot seemed to be of higher quality than what I bought at an electrical supply house.

This thread had me worried so I checked the RG6 quad-shield I installed throughout the house a few years ago - which also came from Home Depot. I was relieved when I checked the spool on the leftover cable and it read "sweep tested to 3GHz". navychop - hopefully you bought the same cable.

Worst case scenario for the "old RG-6" cables. They can be used as pull wires for the newer 3000mhz + cables. And you will only need one run or two depending on how Hoppers you have.
All Joey installs should work with RG-59 or any version of RG-6 cables.

Mine is not quad shield. Makes for a bit more challenge with compression fittings, no?

Well, some is marked Perfect Vision 3GHz and some is only marked 797589 ft. ???

Pulling could be a tad difficult, as I drilled thru 2x4s and have little extra room for a barrel.

From the roof, thru the attic (which has since had a few inches of blown in insulation), down to the crawl space thru interior spaces around venting, across the crawl space, up thru an interior wall to the living room. Wall plates. Done right.

Sounds like me in my attic last week. I keep thinking that I'm getting to old for this crap as I was drilling through headers. But it was well worth it when I was finished. Good thing it wasn't the summer, last year in Texas it was pretty hot in those attics.

Who would be releasing who from what with such a form?

Who would be releasing who from what with such a form?

Basically, homeowner would not be holding Dish responsible for the service not working if it were determined that the existing RG6 coax was at fault. Then the homeowner would either pay for upgrade to coax, or cancel install and pay for Dish install labor.

This thread had me worried so I checked the RG6 quad-shield I installed throughout the house a few years ago - which also came from Home Depot. I was relieved when I checked the spool on the leftover cable and it read "sweep tested to 3GHz". navychop - hopefully you bought the same cable.

Checked mine this morning. Same as yours.

Mine is not quad shield. Makes for a bit more challenge with compression fittings, no?

Well, some is marked Perfect Vision 3GHz and some is only marked 797589 ft. ???

Pulling could be a tad difficult, as I drilled thru 2x4s and have little extra room for a barrel.

From the roof, thru the attic (which has since had a few inches of blown in insulation), down to the crawl space thru interior spaces around venting, across the crawl space, up thru an interior wall to the living room. Wall plates. Done right.

Yes. It took a little more effort to get the compression fittings on. I didn't allow for any wiggle room either when I drilled my holes.

Signal reference

Remote replacement

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)