Restoring a Primestar Dish for FTA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hygoex

Original poster
Jul 15, 2015
Smithonia, Georgia
I'm putting a FTA system at a new farm that my cousin and I will be sharing. Her first satellite system was a Primestar and it has been sitting at her mother's farm. The Primestar dish has basically been abandoned in place for years, and I asked her if I could have it, and she said yes.

Now I'm working to get up for FTA. Based on the attached pictures, what do I need to do?

Attachments

• IMG_0263.JPG
    IMG_0263.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 479
  • IMG_0262.JPG
    IMG_0262.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 473
  • IMG_0261.JPG
    IMG_0261.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 419
  • IMG_0260.JPG
    IMG_0260.JPG
    990.9 KB · Views: 404
So was it complete. The photos don't show everything. Did it have all 3 arms intact and what about the lnb? See the lnb cover but not the lnb itself.

For best performance locate the original feedhorn and purchase a new LNB like the Inverto Black Pro C120. The original feedhorn properly illuminates the dish.

Alternatively, purchase a good quality PLL KU LNBF. While the dish will not be optimally illuminated, it will work fine for most signals.

Here is a project from last year where I grafted a PLL LNBF onto a scalar/feedhorn with excellent results:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/ku-lnbf-graft-onto-prodelin-1m-feedhorn.339849/

Reactions: osu1991
Go with it PLL, I got them on my Primestar dishes, and they work very well. If, later, you want to try get better performance then try the flanged LNB on the factory feed.
If your dish were the elliptical one, I'd say use the factory feed assy. I tried a 'normal' FTA LNBF on one and it didn't work that well. Installed he factory feed and LNB and it came to life!
The elliptical is wider than tall, and only has one LNBF support arm.
whichOne.jpg

Whoops - the elliptical is 29 in. tall, not 32 as labeled.
With that LNB, you'll also need a multiswitch (I've got one on the shelf) separate V and H outputs. Also a 'soup can style' with V and H outs)
add their "polarity combiner" & total is $ 34.89

Reactions: Titanium
Impakt sent me an Eagle/Aspen LNB today. So today, I removed the original cable (it's no good, and was cut when I took the dish down to have it fixed).

What are my options as far as receiver and dish mover are concerned to get good FTA Ku with the dish? What cable would you recommend?

Impakt sent me an Eagle/Aspen LNB today. So today, I removed the original cable (it's no good, and was cut when I took the dish down to have it fixed).

What are my options as far as receiver and dish mover are concerned to get good FTA Ku with the dish? What cable would you recommend?
Threw one of those dishes away before I got into FTA :( so never got to use one. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but given the size/weight of those old Primestar dishes I'd think you would need something like a Stab HH120 rotor. For a receiver I'd recommend an Amiko Mini HD SE. :)

What about mounting the LNB to the dish support. How do I do that?

Oh and the dish has sustained damage to it (since it was cleaned a few weeks ago. It was moved again and apparantly tossed into some bushes. Is there a way to fix this?

What about mounting the LNB to the dish support. How do I do that?

Oh and the dish has sustained damage to it (since it was cleaned a few weeks ago. It was moved again and apparantly tossed into some bushes. Is there a way to fix this?
Oh no! :eek: Biggest issue at this point is what type of damage and how bad is it? Hopefully it's not too bad. Could you post a few pics showing the damage to the dish and it's current state so that it can be assessed? :)

Good. The two other support bars were put back on the dish this morning. The receiver and positioner were ordered this morning from Skyvision.

The next step is putting this Eagle Aspen 270KU LNB on the dish. How can I attach it properly?

The Manhattan RS-1933 is the receiver I got. The positioner was out of stock. I finally measured the dish and it's 39x42 inches. All three arms are somewhat together, but I have to reattach the new LNB.

the black plastic lnb & feedhorn holder that you're looking for is called a "junction block" by Channel Master (the manufacturer of your dish who is now called skyware global). In image 260 in your original post you can see where its broken. I'm pretty sure this is what you're looking for http://www.satcomresources.com/Skyware-Global-FEED-JUNCTION-BLOCK-PLASTIC-AND-HARDWARE
or you could use some perforated metal strapping like this http://www.homedepot.com/p/Master-Flow-Perforated-Metal-Hanger-Straps-3-4HS/100396917 to hold the feedhorn & lnb.
maybe search the FTA section for "multi-lnb" holder ideas for other hardware ideas to try.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Assistance Please

Why do audio levels vary so much?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)