Remote Desktop

NewsTips

EM84tx
Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
Grand Haven, MI
I am attempting to do remote desktop on a new LAN. We are using these tp-link Widi WAPs. I was able to get them to work on a Spectrum LAN. Its a Windows 10 machine talking top a Windows 10 laptop. The lan address are 192.168.68.132 and the other is 192.168.132.116. So this is a LAN. The machines have no problem talking to a wireless HP Printer n this same LAN

Anyone know of any good outside Forums to get help with these kinds of problems as a substitute for an on -call IT pro?

I am attempting to do remote desktop on a new LAN. We are using these tp-link Widi WAPs. I was able to get them to work on a Spectrum LAN. Its a Windows 10 machine talking top a Windows 10 laptop. The lan address are 192.168.68.132 and the other is 192.168.132.116. So this is a LAN. The machines have no problem talking to a wireless HP Printer n this same LAN

Anyone know of any good outside Forums to get help with these kinds of problems as a substitute for an on -call IT pro?
Yeah wow theres a LOT of typos in my post.

I am attempting to do remote desktop on a new LAN. We are using these tp-link Wifi mesh WAPs. I was able to get these Windows PCs to work on a Spectrum LAN. It is a Windows 10 machine talking to a Windows 10 laptop. The LAN addresses are 192.168.68.132 and the other is 192.168.68.116. The machines have no problem talking to a wireless HP Printer on this same LAN.

I think the airwaves are different here in W. Michigan.

Most DHCP servers aren't set up to give that broad a subnet. 192.168.68.x/24 simply can't talk to 192.168.132.x/24.

I'd suggest using something like Tailscale or Netbird to create an "overlay network" (get them VPNed together). This would give some control over who can traverse the subnets.

The other solution would be to turn all of the WAPs into wireless bridges so that everything is on the same subnet.

Then again, real mesh networks are getting cheaper by the quarter and don't require all this fussing, fiddling and network design background.

I noticed that the old “new” Remote Desktop App has been renamed to Windows and uses the light blue Windows logo instead of the orange overlapping >< icon.

I’m with Pepper and think it could be a firewall or version issue. Of course, I’m out of the Windows game so it could be something entirely different. Microsoft had locked down RDP some time ago, so checking that the Remote Desktop is enabled on the target is one thing to check.

The other is whether your computers identify your LAN as Private or Public. Public networks are hardened against outside access, so maybe the first question to ask is can you PING the laptop from the desktop. Since you said you have a new network, check to see it isn’t characterized as Public.

I’m with Pepper and think it could be a firewall or version issue.
It isn't a firewall or even a Windows issue. It is uniquely a subnet issue created by having multiple DHCP servers.

A WAP running in WAP mode (or a router running in router mode) must serve up a subnet that isn't the same as the one it is getting its DHCP assignment from.

It isn't a firewall or even a Windows issue. It is uniquely a subnet issue created by having multiple DHCP servers.
Read his later posts. Both nodes are in the same 192.168.68.0/24 subnet.

Total Wireless by Verizon $25 unlimited plan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 2, Guests: 0)

Latest posts