Re-Activating my system way up north --

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ChesterBabcock

Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
Hello all!
I know I'm not supposed to have it up here in Nova Scotia, but I am planning on re-activating my DirecTV account which I had in Atlanta, GA, and which has been on hold for a few months while we got settled here. I was receiving my local Atlanta stations. I need to change my address of record, and would prefer to change it to my sister's, who lives in Los Angeles, and receive the L.A. local stations when I re-start my service. I'm obviously a paying customer of DirecTV and also subscribe to the Canadian system Express-Vu so they've got me both ways, but I don't want to give up the DirectTV line-up as it's still a bit more lavish though we do get plenty of U.S. nets up here, including the broadcasts and PBS for east and west, which is great.
Is it going to work for me to do this? We had a larger dish installed up here and the DirectTV signal is good. What is involved, if anything weird, in changing official address and switching DMAs for the local channels? It's not a card change-out, is it? Hope not. I do know that both Atlanta and Los Angeles are among the bigger cities and are available without the need for the more elaborate multi-satellite set-up, which I presume is good news for my circumstance.
Worst case I will use a friend's address in Atlanta so I guess I would still get the Atl. locals (would I?), which involves rocking the boat the least, but the Los Angeles address switch is my preference.
I've been afraid to do anything because I have a fear of screwing up what I already had, but I do want to get the DirecTV going again.
Any info or advice anybody has -- and hopefully it's just "go ahead you're fine" -- would be most appreciated.
Thanks lots!

Atlanta locals are on SpotBeam so you won’t get them in Nova Scotia

LA is on CONUS (Continental US) so that would be fine. The signal is the same as the other channels. You would get the big 4 (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX)

What I would do is set it up on auto cc pay. Then you wouldn’t get cut off. The bill goes to the relative and they can mail it to you

Thanks for the info! So I guess the extended bunch of LA channels won't be available...? I guess I could go ahead and change and see what I get and take off the locals later if I decide I don't want/need. We get KTLA as a Superstation already.

I have been paying over the net anyway so that shouldn't be a problem, and my sister can forward any pertinent correspondence.

I had read about the spotbeam thing but didn't know what it was or how it might affect my situation, but I'm assuming that since I'm here, and not actually in LA, that's the problem, right? Hey, it's better than *no* DirecTV, that's for sure!

Thanks again for your speedy reply!

sort of

a spotbeam allows DirecTV & Dish to reuse transponder space. So as an example, my cities locals (Duluth, MN) are on transponder 8 on Dish 110 (I have DIsh Network but it works the same for D*). The spotbeam works in MN, IA & eastern Nebraska. Everyone else can't see it. Dish reuses TP8 in Dallas for their locals :)

LA & NY are CONUS (because people with RV's qualify for them). I don't know on D what LA locals are on Spotbeam but the Big 4 are on CONUS for sure. Maybe KTLA is too :)

I'm kinda set up like you are (you have EVu & Direct...I have Dish & StarChoice) :)

Iceberg said:
sort of
a spotbeam allows DirecTV & Dish to reuse transponder space. So as an example, my cities locals (Duluth, MN) are on transponder 8 on Dish 110 (I have DIsh Network but it works the same for D*). The spotbeam works in MN, IA & eastern Nebraska. Everyone else can't see it. Dish reuses TP8 in Dallas for their locals :)
LA & NY are CONUS (because people with RV's qualify for them). I don't know on D what LA locals are on Spotbeam but the Big 4 are on CONUS for sure. Maybe KTLA is too :)
I'm kinda set up like you are (you have EVu & Direct...I have Dish & StarChoice) :)

nbc,abc,cbs,fox, ktla and kcop are on conus, if I remember correctly.

I beat all of you,

I have comcast, evu, dtv, dish/voom

Thanks philhu and again, Iceberg!

I wish this stuff wasn't so complicated! Why can't we just have all the TV we want? :)

The only thing we don't have right where I live is decent internet, and that's really killing me! lol We're about 5 km too far out in the sticks -- hoping that will change...the definition of the sticks, that is, not where we live :)

Thanks again!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

new customer with R15 wants 95W only

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts