Raven feedhorn, Inverto LNB on 1.2m Channel Master

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Martyn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2005
Annandale, VA
I managed to pick up a 1.2 meter Channel Master dish that had been in use on top of a building. The contractor remodeling the place was nice enough to spot my Craigslist ad and give me a call.

As I am already getting just about everything I need on ku from my 1m Winegard, I'm planning to put a C-band LNB on the Channel Master and use it for 99w. I've already had some success on 99w and the SatMex birds on the 1m dish, so I think the 1.2m should be able to perform.

The question is getting the LNB on the dish. I did a lot of reading around and saw a lot of home mods to get the LNB on there. But I also came across this solution from the UK:

http://www.satellitesuperstore.co.uk/raven_andrews_channel_master_feedhorn.htm#ravensingle

Is anyone using this with a C-band LNB? And any recommendations on an LNB, or am I better off trying to get my existing LNB on the dish?

I'll be in the UK in a couple of weeks so can save on shipping if I decide to get it. Any thoughts?

I already have a DMX242, but it looks pretty cheaply made.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Last edited:
That feedhorn is only good for KU signals. It will NOT pass C-band frequencies.

You will have to modify the lnb arms holder on the Channel Master dish, or you won't be able to fit the larger c-band lnbf in place without it sitting too high up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I had just realized the feedhorn was band-specific when I saw your message pop up.

I'll work on getting the modifications done. The two side arms swivel lower, so perhaps I can rig up a new bracket that sits a little lower and allows the C-band LNB to be in the right place.

Thanks again!

Yes, you would need to make sure the C band LNBF was at the focus, something a lot of people overlook in their rush for a mini-BUD,
And you'd want a conical scalar for best results, an item readily available in North America.
Shop around; a member might have a spare.
Some folks are currently having trouble on 99wC with their small dishes.
And recently getting more interference from adjacent birds or weaker signal on 99C.
I'm not really mini-BUD sympathetic. ...but if I were...
I have spare SatAV C2's which would be my first choice.
And as soon as they become available, I would also try the new PLL C band LNBF:
http://www.titaniumsatellite.com/news.html
If all you really want is 99C, this might be the only time I'd suggest a 6'er.
Just so long as you don't buy a new one! ;)
?But any common 8' BUD would give more future potential.

Thanks Anole, My problem right now is space and the landlady. She's been very good about my satellite dishes and antennas, but an 8-footer might be too much for her and the neighbors.

I'm hoping to move sometime in the next year and then I'll be checking out every house I find on dishpointer.com before I go and see them :)

I understand these dishes are undersized for the job, but are the Lyngsat dish size calculations all wrong? Looking at this one, for example, http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/footprints/Galaxy-16-C.html , it seems an 80-100cm dish is fine across almost all of the country. That's either wrong or it doesn't take into account co-satellite interference.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Avantek C-Band LNB

H2H programming changes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts