Quick Newbie Q

nuttz565

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2009
colorado
I just left direct and got dish. Im saving about $10 a month with my current setup-722&222. Im pleased so far except I think Direct had a tad bit better intergrated dvr schedule and the way you record. So here is my question. I noticed in the 800's there are duplicate channels also the 9000's have duplicate HD feeds. Why is this? Thanks

The 9,000s are listing of just the HD channels. They have also been remapped to the regular channel listing (for example, ESPN is 9424 and it is the same as the ESPN 140 HD station). They are just duplicates. Create a favorite list and use the list you prefer. So why have them? Well you can go to that station to make sure you are on the actual HD station. This is also where DISH first started to place their HD stations before they knew how to/had the technology to list multiple channels for the same station. They've kept it up since a lot of people like having all their HD in one area and not have to fiddle with adjusting their lists.

I'm not certain on the 800s but yes, they typically are duplicates. It is either because it is from a different satellite or because it is an MPEG2 station. Dish has switched all their HD over to MPEG4 though there may remain some MPEG2 equipment/subscribers out there.

The 9,000s are listing of just the HD channels. They have also been remapped to the regular channel listing (for example, ESPN is 9424 and it is the same as the ESPN 140 HD station). They are just duplicates. Create a favorite list and use the list you prefer. So why have them? Well you can go to that station to make sure you are on the actual HD station. This is also where DISH first started to place their HD stations before they knew how to/had the technology to list multiple channels for the same station. They've kept it up since a lot of people like having all their HD in one area and not have to fiddle with adjusting their lists.

I'm not certain on the 800s but yes, they typically are duplicates. It is either because it is from a different satellite or because it is an MPEG2 station. Dish has switched all their HD over to MPEG4 though there may remain some MPEG2 equipment/subscribers out there.

That sums it up nicely. Thanks....

That is incorrect.

There are no MPEG2-HD channels remaining in the system.

800's are Dish Latino channels.

Any duplicates in the Guide are simply for other packages.

Dish can have one channel transmitting from a satellite, and then provide that channel in any number of places in the Guide for different packages.

DISH 722 install with legacy DISH 500

Digital storage for my DVR

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)