Questions on putting in pole, motors, and dish retrofit

Status
Please reply by conversation.

timmy1376

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 20, 2004
Manhattan, KS
Soooo, I finally got pizzed at the Twinhan card, and got a Coolsat 4000 pro for what I believe to be a great price, so it should be here Thursday or Friday. Here is what I have planned this afternoon, with plenty of breaks in the 100 degree heat we are supposed to have. :no

1. I am headed to home depot to get the pole for a motor I want to mount eventually. I am planning on getting the SG2100. What size pole do I need for that? I have a 2 3/8 one from when I did our chain link fence, but for now, while I dont have a motor, I will concrete that into a bucket for a static install to test things out. How deep do I need to go into the ground?

2. I have the DTN dish, with the mount you should see in the picture below, would I better off doing the ziploc retrofit ( http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=42450&highlight=Primestar ) or just turning the mount upside down and using pvc pipe to make the SG motor pipe bigger?

3. I am thinking the legnth of cable will be maybe 125 feet, will I run into problems with that? I am using RG6 from a 500 ft. spool from Home Depot.

Has anyone used any of the channel tools for the PC with the CoolSat? I eventually want to be able to set the names for the networks on G10R to something that makes sense to us like FOX CST or UPN EST for the network and timezone. I know I can do it on the box, but a pc would be a heckava lot faster.

thanks guys, and if I never post again, I had heat stroke

Attachments

• dishmount.jpg
    dishmount.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 233
1. I'm using a 2 3/8" chain-link fence pole. I'm thinking you could go even bigger.

2. That mount looks nearly identical to my P* one. I did the up-side-down mount and schedule 40 PVC sleeves (1 1/2" & 2"). The ziplock method looks to be lighter but it is more work for sure. I think I'm going to pick up that 50mm tube for the SG-2100 and have just one sleeve when I put my 'new' 26x36 dish up.

3. I wouldn't sweat the long run. Mine is about that long if not longer and I don't notice any difference in the house or out at the dish.

<edit>I just checked... my run is 138' to the Demark box, then 25' from there to the receiver... so a just over 160' run!</edit>

I've fired up the CoolSat channel tool and it looks like it'll work good to do just that. I haven't had the data cable connected to the CoolSat yet so I have yet to actually try moving data between the reciever and my PC though. I was looking to re-order the sats.

Where did you find the channel tool? I did find the zip file for the firmware, but it is the only one, so I am assuming no need to do anything once I get it.

timmy1376 said:
Where did you find the channel tool? I did find the zip file for the firmware, but it is the only one, so I am assuming no need to do anything once I get it.
I'll post it when I get home if 'Berg doesn't beat me to it :).

This?

It has facotry software and the program to run it

Attachments

• Coolsat factory.zip
    829.2 KB · Views: 132
Wierd, that zip I downloaded off their website just had the .stb file, not the STBTool.exe file. Thanks for that.

Anyone know where to find Gtools or another channel editing program?

The one I played with is NDFEdit.

I think you download the channels from the reciever with STBTool, edit it with NDFEdit (GTools may work too), and then upload it back to the reciever with STBTool.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Missing In Action

Addressable or store-and-forward MPEG RX

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)