Question/problem.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PAtivouser

Original poster
Nov 11, 2004
I read a post here that someone was only receiving signal on sat 101w transponders 1-16. I have the same issue and have tried and tested all the equipment and even buying new cabling and phase III dish. All with no success. Now I am wondering if it would be possible for transponders 17-32 to be blocked by some kind of obstruction that is not affecting the others? I get a signal strength of 89 to 97 on the low transponders but nothing on the others. This problem occurs even when I install my old round single lnb dish.

Any splitters in your line going to the reciever. If not maybe the LNB or Reciever itself.

Do you have another reciever working in the house?? If so move the reciever to that location and try it there. If not, my guess would be the reciever went bad. Also make sure you have the system set up for the correct dish type when changing dishes. Should'nt make a difference, but it may.

Receiver works fine at another location. Setup is for correct dish. Tested tuner and voltages change and read the right amount. Used another reciver at my location and had the same problems.

PAtivouser said:
Receiver works fine at another location. Setup is for correct dish. Tested tuner and voltages change and read the right amount. Used another reciver at my location and had the same problems.
You have limited the problem to your cable,LNB, and dish. It sounds like you have replaced dish and LNB which leaves a problem with your cable. Try running a new piece of cable from the dish to the back of the receiver nothing in between. Bring it in through a window if necessary just to test. :)

Tried just a cable to the reciever with nothing to interfere, same result. I still think it may be an issue with trees blocking a section of the dish.

You moved the reciever to another location in the house?? Or did you move it to another location? Like to a friends house?? If it works fine at another location in your house I would say you have a bad LNB ( try another port off the LNB) or the reciever is bad.

Took the receiver to another location and it worked fine. Which leads me to believe that it must be a dish blocking issue.

Not sure about the dish blocking theory as i've never heard of something like that. And i'm not that well educated on satalite transmision/reception concepts to even speculate. But just a thought is that it may possibly be electronic interferance from some other device. Please comments, if anyone of ya know a lot about the method of transmision / reception, as I would be very interested in hearing or reading about it. (Lol just more crap to confuse the hell outa the old lady that doesn't want to pay for a $70 service call and wants to know what she can try.)

PAtivouser said:
Tried just a cable to the reciever with nothing to interfere, same result. I still think it may be an issue with trees blocking a section of the dish.
If a tree was blocking the dish you would have a low signal level on all transponders. A tree won't selectivly block half the frequencies. :D The LNB downconverts the signal to a frequency band of 950-1450 mhz, you have to be losing part of that signal band to lose the upper channels. Are you sure you are using RG-6 cable sweep tested to at least 1450 mhz.? Something in your setup has to be blocking part of that frequency block, cable is the most common a splitter, F-81 even fittings can cause a loss. :)

If you have another reciever in your house, bring that to the location that you are having trouble at and try it there. But if you moved the reciever you are having trouble with to another location and it worked, then I would say switch the lines on the LNB, that will tell you if you have a problem at the dish. If there was interference from the signal it would do the same on all your recievers, not just one. I think you have a bad receiver.

Thanks for the input everyone. I have tried using a different receiver and still get the same problem. I don't have any splitters in the line or multiswitches. On the 101 satellite I get a high of 97 and a low of 88 on transponders 1-16. I agree with the frequency issue after reading boba's post. No I can't imagine what in the world could be blocking the other transponders. I just moved into the house last week and I haven't found anything odd plugged in anywhere.

Did you do a self install?? try switches lines at the LNB. Leave the recivers where they are. If you have to, have the wife tell you which line you take off by checking the T.V.s when you drop one line at a time. Then be sure you switched the outputs on the LNB. That will tell you whether or not it is a LNB problem.

sounds like the cable is no good, can't pass signal higher than a certain point so the higher numbered transponders aren't getting thru.

Found the problem everyone. My hughes Dtivo and other receiver(OLD Hughes Silverline) thought It was aiming at the 101 sat when in fact the reason it was only reading 1-16 transponders was because it was reading the 72.5 sat but 101 was selected. I rotated the dish about 15-20 degrees further clockwise and found the 101 signal. If you lined the dish up to the coordinates on the reciver the first signal you find with the box method is 72.5 and the signal was so strong I ran with. Thanks for all the help.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

directv add comcast sports west

F/u question on Directv install

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)