Question for those who have Dishnetwork and fta

Status
Please reply by conversation.

turbosat

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
Oneonta,AL
Or maybe a couple of questions. My brother donated me a DN 711 PVR receiver yesterday, said they had upgraded their receivers to those joey things. I know nothing about these things, and I'm sure there's no use for them outside of the pay service. I'd like to know if this could be used for a pvr somehow with my fta receivers-like maybe taking out the hard drive and installing it in an fta box. Is that possible?
Also, I was under the impression that those boxes, the Dishnetwork receivers were ALL owned by the company now, and have to be sent back when upgrades are made.
Is my brother about to be in for a rude suprise from DN, or is it possible to actually own a 711PVR? I don't want to rip the HD out of it if he needs to send it back to the company!
Also, since I don't have the pay service myself, can I sell this box or give it somebody> or is it too old nowadays to be useful? I see it has HDMI connections on it, so maybe it isn't that old. Thks!
edit: its not a711, lol. IT says VIP722K PVR on front. Still has the plastic covering on it.

I am guessing the model number is a 722. :)

No you can not store anything from your FTA system on it, it only works with the DISH subscription service.

Alot of the receivers are leased but there are folks who buy them....main reason for purchasing is no contract. I did that with a 211k. Subbed for about 6 months then sold the receiver

The 722k is one of the "newer" boxes and yes still works fine. If the receiver is clear (no balance and not leased) yes you could sell it. Best thing to do is to PM one of the DIRT (Dish Internet Response Team). Their names are in red on the bottom of the main page
http://www.satelliteguys.us/forum.php
Matt or Mary are real good at helping out but any of them could help verify if the receiver is clean

You will need to get the R&S#'s off the receiver. Easiest way is to do this
plug in receiver
let it boot up
when you see the 1st screen press the menu button on the remote
Then press 6 then 1 then 3 which is system information screen
It will show R00 something and S19 something

If they say its clean then you could sell it. Or maybe ask your brother. If dish wants it back yeah he'd have to send it back.

Oh, I'd have to wired it up to a tv to find all that out, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have given him those joeys and whatever those other boxes are called, if he'd owed a pile on this one.
I just wondered if anybody had tore one up to find if the HD is recoverable or reusable. If it's still a good working receiver, I might try to sell it. I'm sure they're nice, but I'm not tempted to call them for an activation,lol.

you wouldnt need to call them for activation. They can tell you if the receiver is leased or not

Oh, I'd have to wired it up to a tv to find all that out, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have given him those joeys and whatever those other boxes are called, if he'd owed a pile on this one.
I just wondered if anybody had tore one up to find if the HD is recoverable or reusable. If it's still a good working receiver, I might try to sell it. I'm sure they're nice, but I'm not tempted to call them for an activation,lol.

You can sell that drive and make some cash. It's a special model for dvr's, and you can't put just any drive in a Dish dvr, they wouldn't work due to something in the firmware. However, it will work the opposite way, and go in any computer that can handle a full size SATA drive. You'd only need to reformat it if you do that.

Then again, it's still a good valid newer receiver, and you could probably make a bit more selling the whole thing as it is.

Thanks for the information, guys. I don't think it'd make much sense to tear it up for the HD if I can maybe sell somebody the whole thing. Once i figure out what a going price for one is!
I should maybe put up a circular dish and see if the thing is still receiving tv, lol. I know that's doubtful though, but I could learn if its working properly.

I bought a VIP622 off of Ebay years ago, and it stayed authorized for like 4 days before it took a hit, and the previous owners programming dropped.

Easy way to check for a going price, is to check Ebay for SOLD units, and get an idea what prices it truly sold for and average them. Now, sometimes those prices can go crazy, and the buyer won't follow through and actually pay, so be careful of that. Off the top of my head, probably $150- maybe $250 would be about right, especially if the OTA modules are installed. Just make sure to call Dish to have it released for resale. If you don't, and somebody buys it, you are going to have a dispute on your hands, and you will have to refund them.

Last edited:
With it no longer being the "top of the line" (the Hawper is now) the prices have come down a smidge
But prices do vary greatly

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PATRIOT PTX-85E Elliptical

Setting dish mount elevation scale

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)