Question about DirecTV w/HTPC

Status
Please reply by conversation.

phoenix182

Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
SW Washington
I've asked this on a few different forums, with varying replies. Thought I'd put it to the crowd here since you all seem to have way more actual knowledge about it than the general internet populace.

For years I've used my Linux box as my HTPC/PVR with local cable. Since the cable company got bought out by Comcr@! things have gone progressively downhill. I've decided to dump them, and like the bundles available with DirecTV, however I'm worried about getting it to work with my computer.

I don't have, need, or want any High-Def programming. Just not interested. I'll have a midrange package and local channels for light viewing. I don't want to lose the ability to record and watch on my PC, though I realize I'll probably have to update my tuner card.

I also don't like leasing receivers, especially since there are 4 viewing stations (3 tvs, 1 computer) in my house. I had considered buying standard receivers for the extra stations to avoid those fees.

So my questions are:

Is it safe to buy my own receivers, which model should I look for, how much will I pay, and will it have any fallout or extra costs with DirecTV?

Do we really HAVE to hook the receivers to a phone line? All of them, or just one?

What are the options for watching different programs on different receivers? Can my HTPC (if it's usable at all) record a station not being watched?

Will I be able to somehow hook a receiver to my PC the same way I did with cable, and use it for viewing and recording? Please note, I use Linux, not Microsoft OSs. If so, what hardware will I need to pick up (can be general or sepecific recommendations)? Is casting/streaming possible, the same as with regular cable?

Finally, I was somewhat interested in DirecTvs version of ondemand, where you get the dvr receiver and hook it to the internet, and then get access to a bunch of free movies/programs. Is it really free, what does it require hardware wise, what does it require package wise, and in relation to my last question, would a HTPC be able to view/record this content in the same manner as regular TV?

I've asked this on a few different forums, with varying replies. Thought I'd put it to the crowd here since you all seem to have way more actual knowledge about it than the general internet populace.

For years I've used my Linux box as my HTPC/PVR with local cable. Since the cable company got bought out by Comcr@! things have gone progressively downhill. I've decided to dump them, and like the bundles available with DirecTV, however I'm worried about getting it to work with my computer.

I don't have, need, or want any High-Def programming. Just not interested. I'll have a midrange package and local channels for light viewing. I don't want to lose the ability to record and watch on my PC, though I realize I'll probably have to update my tuner card.

As long as your Tuner Card will read channel 3 Digital (should) you will be fine

I also don't like leasing receivers, especially since there are 4 viewing stations (3 tvs, 1 computer) in my house. I had considered buying standard receivers for the extra stations to avoid those fees.

You wont avoid the Fees or the commitment so might as well get em free.

So my questions are:

Is it safe to buy my own receivers, which model should I look for, how much will I pay, and will it have any fallout or extra costs with DirecTV?

D* will give you 3 STD Boxes and a DVR Free, see above post per lease fees, owning wont save you money at this point in D*'s career but end up costing you more. $40-$80 for a Std box + D* will charge $20 for a new access card and $4.99 a month mirror fee for all 4 boxes.. Basically with 4 Receivers Leased you will get them free and pay $4.99 for them minus the 1st.

Do we really HAVE to hook the receivers to a phone line? All of them, or just one?

Technically yes... but no phone you will be fine.. They dont spy on you except your purchases. If you order PPV there is no extra charge is you have a phone connected. having a DVR (R22) hooked up to the network>Internet will act as the "phone line"

What are the options for watching different programs on different receivers? Can my HTPC (if it's usable at all) record a station not being watched?

No, the output will be what is viewed, the tuning is done inside the D* box not at the TV Tuner/Input. You will need a D* DVR to record something else that your not viewing. Your HTPC will be nothing more than a fancy VCR with D* or E*

Will I be able to somehow hook a receiver to my PC the same way I did with cable, and use it for viewing and recording? Please note, I use Linux, not Microsoft OSs. If so, what hardware will I need to pick up (can be general or sepecific recommendations)? Is casting/streaming possible, the same as with regular cable?

With a Tuner Card it will be no problem.. but see above for limitations. DIRECT2PC is a Windows Beta App and would probally need VMware to be used but would be extremely taxing on the system in a VM window or even via Wine.

Finally, I was somewhat interested in DirecTvs version of ondemand, where you get the dvr receiver and hook it to the internet, and then get access to a bunch of free movies/programs. Is it really free, what does it require hardware wise, what does it require package wise, and in relation to my last question, would a HTPC be able to view/record this content in the same manner as regular
TV?

See above for HTPC limitations.. ONDEMAND is free for programs you subscribe to, there is also PPV content that D* offers and the Network offers. You need a R22 or HDDVR for it to work. ONDEMAND will only stream to the DVR not through-out the rest of the house (yet) so you will need DVR services active on the account.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Install q's

directv latin

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts