Question about adding a 5th output/new multiswitch

Status
Please reply by conversation.

diitto

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
Hi... Here's my set up... Oval Triple LNB dish with its typical four outputs that go into my attic and attach to four (of six, see below) series feed through ground blocks... Then going to the receiver end, I pulled six cables (for future possibilities) from four different rooms (2 from the living room, 2 from an office room, and 1 each from each of two other bedrooms)... Those six cables go up into the attic and attach to six series feed throughs, four of which have the four antenna cables mentioned above on the other side of those four feedthroughs, meaning that two of the cables from down in the house are currently connected to nothing at those series feed throughs (again, for future use)... We have an HD-DVR receiver in the living room using up two connections... My wife recently decided she wanted a tv in one of the bedrooms. So I set up a D-10 in that bedroom using up a third of the four standard antenna signals. Then I recently bought a DVR for the office room but with three of four signal cables already used I could only hook up one of the two possible inputs to the DVR in the office. If there is a reasonable way to do so, what I would like to do is install a non-powered (cascadable?) multiswitch in the attic so I could hook up a 5th output to the second cable that goes to the office DVR. And from what I have been reading I am assuming it would need to be a cascadable switch?? Is there such an unpowered switch??? Or even a powered one?? I don't have power in the attic, I mean not readily available, thus my question about whether I can do this with an unpowered switch... Each of the runs from the antenna to the ground blocks in the attic and on to the receiver locations in each room is at most 50 feet (for each run, antenna to receiver)... So what, if any, options might you be able to suggest??? I know I've seen similar questions posed before but I am a bit new to the multi-switch possibilities so I decided to state my case precisely and ask for help... Any help would be much appreciated... thanks... bob...

The way these switches are powered is with a coaxial cable. So if you have an extra cable that is close to a power outlet going to the attic this will work.

Do you have central air, and is the unit in your attic? Or how about your doorbell? Is the transformer in the attic? The point of all this is that if any of these are true, you do have power up there, someone has to install an outlet running off of that feed.

As far as your setup, a standard 5 x 8 switch is really all you need. ALL of the sat feeds would go into that first, and THEN on to your receivers. That would give you 8 outputs as well as a port to input your OTA. Then a diplexor at the receiver is used to split the sat and OTA feeds apart.

Now, this mixing of the OTA is only possible for you because you are still using the triple lnb dish. If you upgrade to the AT9, the OTA has to be run separate.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tnt Hd (CH 75)

A few questions regarding new lease program for current subscribers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)