PVR 510 & Big Screen TV ?

ironleg

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 17, 2004
I just purchased a new Sony KDF-50WE655 Big Screen TV. I have dish with PVR 510 unit and am new with this as this is my fist big screen TV. I needed to know if the picture will be as good as what I seen at the store? So tell me it will not be a very good picture. What can I do if it is this way

Thanks
Victor

I dont know how good the picture you saw in the store was...If it was a high-def picture you saw in the store then you will be MORTALLY disapoineted as the PVR 510 is only a Standard def box and SD programs on a HD tv are almost unbearable (IMO).

If you want to utilize the HD abilites of your new toy you should consider getting some type of HD reciever. Dish currently makes two HD recievers...the 811 and 921.

You may even want to look into getting an HD card for you PC (MYHD120 card)

You are restricting yourself to SD quality pictures on a HDTV. Not only that, but you are going to be able to see the compression artifacts (blocky pixels) on a set that large. If you watch a DVD and then switch to tv you are definatly going to be unhappy. Theres a thread elsewhere that talks specifically about Sony tv's and I believe the solution was to turn the sharpness to 0.

I'd get an 811 unless you feel like paying for a 921. If you have the right satellite feeds, you can keep your 510, hook them both up with no extra equipment, and use it to DVR stuff. You can either attach them both up to different inputs on your Sony and switch between them, or run the 510 rf output into the antenna in of the 811 and just tune the 811 to channel 3 to watch what's on the 510.

You should visit a site like http://antennaweb.org and see what OTA HD channels you can expect depending on antenna size. I get most of my channels using a small double bow-tie antenna in my attic. Right now Dish only has a few HD channels, you have to get the rest over the air.

That TV has a Built in Cable card and a Tuner for OTA HD. The store more than likel;y will be showing HD. Your 510 Wont. I suggest Keeping the 510, and add a 811 to watch HD. You can record all except the HD stuff. However, I have been on HD for 2 years and everything I wanted to see has been repeated on the same channel so no need yet for the DVR. The shows on the network watch it in HD when your home when your not just record the analog it will save you $700.

Best of luck... you will never own a smaller TV again ever....

-Chas

I have a 60XS and DISH, and the PQ isn't wonderful, but nothing about moving from a 36" XBR to a 60" set made it unwatchable, in fact it is still an improvement. There are tweaks that will minimize the problems, although I don't know if your model has individual preset tweaks for each input or just global tweaks.

Dish and CBS

Locks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)