Program guide download failure

sy308

Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
US
Hi, new to forum and Dish. New installation. VIP222K receiver. The ONLY way to get the unit to function after nightly "update" is to DISCONNECT the coax momentarily from the receiver, then it finds the satellites and downloads the guide. I can't imagine what is going on. I have checked and repointed the dish, cleaned all contacts from dish to house. Signal strengths are: 61.5=34, 72=49 and 77=27. Lots of coax in this setup. I used my big dish runs. I measured the voltage to the dish and have 18.5VDC. Surge protection both outside and inside house. I even put an amplifier in line, but this did not change the behavior. Wondering if anyone has heard of this problem. I see not issue with the coax or connectors. The system plays great, no dropouts, no issues that I am aware of other than failure to update unless the system gets an antenna disconnect, then it downloads properly. I reset the system, no changes in this situation. Thanks for any suggestions.

try disconnecting sat feed and run a long check switch to clear the matrix, then check in the menu to make sure you have allowed updates to come through and then finally may have to change the time your receiver takes nightly updates. Be sure to hook back up and run another check switch after you have cleared the matrix.

Yep. But I suspect your dish needs to be re-peaked, those reading seem a bit low to me.

I will try to repeak dish. Is there any preference as to which of the three I should concentrate on? What is the matrix and a long check switch all about? Thanks.

Here is some more information. I worked on re-peaking the dish today. I used a Radio Shack satellite finder while on the phone with an observer watching the bars on the receiver. I made several adjustments but noticed moving the dish Westward is still has not peaked 77 yet. I made a pretty good try. I can hear the pulses coming down the line and the different signals changing from satellite to satellite. New numbers are 61.5=63, 72=48 and 77=23. During the adjustment, I notice the receiver would not lock on to any satellite but 77 and gave an error message about a wrong satellite. Yet the numbers look fine. The result is the system still will not play correctly and download the program guide unless the antenna is disconnected from the receiver briefly. Does anyone out there know how the three satellites integrate the program guide, ie which has the guide info? Still looking for help here from an experienced person. I plan to try again to move the mount a bit more Westward in hopes of bringing 77 up a bit. Thanks.

In re-peaking, you went from little signal on 61.5 to little on 77. You probably should try half way in between. That is, nearly equal on each feed. You might have to check the post to be vertical, and even adjust the skew a little, although this is usually last. After the best signal on 72.7 with azimuth and elevation adjust, do a little skew adjust to balance the outer LNBs.

Wish I could get better signals on my early 1000 (not 1000.2) dish--just too small. Thinking about pointing the 61.5 (from the old days) to 72.7 for better duplicate HDs.
-Ken

Instead of disconnectiong the cable, try unplugging the receiver and let it reboot.

We have done this too in the past. No assistance or improvement in the situation. Actually, the only way I discovered disconnecting the feed works is that I have two feeds comming back to the house from the old dish system. Thinking one would be better than the other, I found switching made a difference and finally discovered it was NOT changing feeds but the act of removing and reconnecting to the receiver with either feed that made the system start the download.

I wish someone could give me some insight. After a few days off, I looked at the system again. Now, there was absolutely no download of anything. The only sat the system could lock on to was 77. I tried everything to tune it but could not get the signal more than 25.

When I tried to change satellites on the setup page, I could hear the tones change on my strength tuner but no change in the receiver. The changing tones sound like what happens when the antenna is connected and disconnected off the system too, so I suspect the voltage changes on the line do something to the system and this is probably mimicked when I disconnected and reconnected the coax.

So the system would not continue setup or go to other satellites no matter what position I would tune the antenna to.

The voltage at the LNB is over 18VD and this setup is pretty frustrating. Any suggestions as to looking first at the receiver or dish for the source of my problems??? The system is dead right now.

New Dish configuration equipment questions

Arrrggg Here We Go Again!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts