Product Comparison: DIRECTV via Satellite, DIRECTV via Internet, and DIRECTV STREAM

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT

Overview​

DIRECTV via Satellite, DIRECTV via Internet, and DIRECTV STREAM customers can enjoy TV on all their compatible devices connected to their home network and on-the-go. The number of concurrent streams available is determined by their product, and if they’re streaming on their home network or on-the-go. Below are the streaming details:

• DIRECTV via Satellite customers have a total of 5 concurrent streams to use while on their in-home network and if off the network, they have access to 3 streams.
  • DIRECTV via Internet customers have unlimited concurrent stream on their in-home network and up to 3 streams on-the-go.
  • DIRECTV STREAM customers:
    • Former DIRECTV NOW – 2 concurrent streams and can purchase a 3rd stream for $5
    • Former AT&T TV NOW – 3 concurrent streams and cannot purchase more
Important: regardless of DIRECTV’s streaming limits, some networks only allow 3 streams at the same time (in-home or on-the-go). Here are network exceptions:

• Fox channels: Big Ten Network, Fox News, Fox Business, FS1, FS2, Fox Deportes and Fox local channels
  • STARZ
  • NHL Network

The below provides a product comparison between DIRECTV via Satellite, DIRECTV via Internet, and DIRECTV STREAM.

Product Comparison​

ProgrammingVia InternetVia SatelliteDIRECTV STREAM
Local channels
Base packages with no Locals
Premium movie channels and offers
Subscription Video On Demand (SVOD)
Easily access streaming on programmer 3rd-party app/website (w/login)
On Demand✔*
International programming
4K programming

SPORTSVia InternetVia SatelliteDIRECTV STREAM
The most Regional Sports Networks (RSN)**
Sports Pack

Sports Pack

Sports Pack

Sports Pack
MLB Extra Innings
NBA League Pass
NHL Center Ice
Pay-per-view
FEATURES/ TECHNOLOGYVia InternetVia SatelliteDIRECTV STREAM
Sports Central with Gemini
Watch on TV
Watch online/mobile
SignalSaver- 99% reliability with an internet connected set top box
Voice Control Remote with Gemini
Access to 3rd-party apps✔*
DVR
Unlimited hours of Cloud DVR
DIRECTV App

DIRECTV App

DIRECTV App

DIRECTV App
*Requires Gemini device
**Additional fee applies. CHOICE Package or higher. Blackout restrictions apply. Availability of RSNs varies by zip code and package

Last edited:
I noticed 4K (out of market) MLB games are only available via Sat. When watching on the app I get a blackout message. I assume the same for out of market NBA games but i don't remember.

The app doesn't handle RSNs like satellite does, instead you get RSN streams tailored to your account's zip code, so subscribing to Extra Innings, League Pass or Center Ice doesn't open up the out of market games on the RSN and 4K streams.

It's also why signal saver doesn't work with most of the RSNs. i.e. DIRECTV Satellite carries Bally Midwest's main feed on 671 which just has the Cardinals and Blues, and there is no streaming counterpart for that feed. Instead the "Midwest" stream for St Louis viewers is a hyperlocal edit that also includes Pacers and Fever games from the Indiana subfeed and Grizzlies games from Bally Sports South and Southeast.

Fairly certain satellite has sports central with satellite. There was 4000 commercials with Travis Kelce before the nfl season about it.

Re: sports central, that might be with the Gemini only... i dont see it with genie 2

Re RSNs yea with sat i can watch braves on 646 649 (out of market) with the app i only get MASN and Monumental LIVE games... i think i still get random programing and the channels show up in the 600s (since i have sports pack) but no LIVE out of market games.

DIRECTV STREAM currently offers unlimited in-home (same network) streams and three out-of-home streams, with a maximum of two being attached-to-TV devices. Additionally, there is no RSN fee with any DIRECTV STREAM package that includes RSNs.

Reactions: mdram
DIRECTV STREAM currently offers unlimited in-home (same network) streams and three out-of-home streams, with a maximum of two being attached-to-TV devices. Additionally, there is no RSN fee with any DIRECTV STREAM package that includes RSNs.
Yep. The overview needs to be changed to reflect that. Also, the current limit of out of home streams is three. From the FAQ:

“Within your home network most customers will not have a limit, outside of your home network the limit is 3 concurrent streams.”

Yep. The overview needs to be changed to reflect that. Also, the current limit of out of home streams is three. From the FAQ:

“Within your home network most customers will not have a limit, outside of your home network the limit is 3 concurrent streams.”
Correct. Two of the out-of-home connections are allowed to be devices connected to TVs, with the third being a tablet/phone device:

"Keep in mind: Only two streaming devices connected to a TV can be accessed out of the home. For example: one DIRECTV device and one Firestick."

DIRECTV Repackaging

DirecTV Stream and via Internet dropping 30 episode limit on Cloud DVR