PRESS Release: DISH INTRODUCES AMERICA'S FIRST TRUE TV EVERYWHERE OFFERING

My home internet is 15/2. I have tried to watch HD via the 922, and it really does not work well. It cuts in and out all the time. SD works OK (watching an HD program using SD sling). 2Mbit up is just not fast enough. I suspect given how close it comes to working that the minimum is somewhere between 2 and 3 Mbit for HD. But, given the ins and outs of the internet with congestion, they probably quote a lot more just to be sure it is fairly reliable.

The minimum for SD sling is probably pretty low.

Thats not a problem with the Sling technology, its a problem with the lack of bandwith available here in the USA.

I am lucky where I am at its now 10 MPbs up and 50 Down. :)

I did some experimenting with dish.sling.com and the base rate for SD appears to be around 500kbit/sec, the better jumps up to 1.5mbit, HD will work with my 2mbit connection, but it is blocky. It is a big improvement over the dropouts of a few months ago, it just has larger pixels than it should have for HD. Inside the house it looks like it goes up to 8mbit on the HD and give a real nice picture.

So, if you do not mind SD, a 500kbit/sec is about what you need.

The remote almost works with either of my two 722's and Droid X. Login is fine, but sporadic response to most selections is "Request failed - error unknown", which makes it unuseable to me currently.

I haven't seen any other entries like this, so I suspect it may be related to multiple 722's.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I did some experimenting with dish.sling.com and the base rate for SD appears to be around 500kbit/sec, the better jumps up to 1.5mbit, HD will work with my 2mbit connection, but it is blocky. It is a big improvement over the dropouts of a few months ago, it just has larger pixels than it should have for HD. Inside the house it looks like it goes up to 8mbit on the HD and give a real nice picture.

What are your PC specs when you watch HD inside the house?

Can you restate your first sentence? I'm struggling with it. When you say that the base rate for SD is around 500 kbps, do you mean that is the lowest bit rate that gives satisfactory performance, and are you talking about upstream?

What does "the better jumps up to 1.5mbps" mean? I'm thinking there's got to be a typo in there.

I appreciate your testing, and I just want to be sure I really understand your results.

It's important to me, as I'm excited about the potential of getting a sling adapter, and also in the middle of a change of ISP to improve my upstream rate.

Unfortunately, my current ISP is limited to 512kbps, and the other says they can give me 1mbps. I can live with SD on that lttle 4.3" screen.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

If accessing the Sling Adapter from my home network (computer and Sling Adapter on same router and subnet) does the traffic from the Sling Adapter still need to go to Dish's website then back down to me? My internal wireless network is more than fast enough to stream HD internally, but if I still needs to go out then back in that'd be a bottleneck.

Just curious... this would be a great way to add HD viewing to TV's around the house where there's no HD connection between the TV and my VIP722, but given my upstream is only around 500K-750K it sounds like HD won't be an option with the Internet as a factor.

Sam

If accessing the Sling Adapter from my home network (computer and Sling Adapter on same router and subnet) does the traffic from the Sling Adapter still need to go to Dish's website then back down to me? My internal wireless network is more than fast enough to stream HD internally, but if I still needs to go out then back in that'd be a bottleneck.

Just curious... this would be a great way to add HD viewing to TV's around the house where there's no HD connection between the TV and my VIP722, but given my upstream is only around 500K-750K it sounds like HD won't be an option with the Internet as a factor.

Sam

No, the Dish web site just allows you to pair your computer with your DVR(922)/sling adapter(722) and then they communicate directly. So, if they are both on the same LAN they do not use the internet. The purpose of the Dish site is to make it easy to install because you do not need to set up port forwarding on your router to allow someone from the outside to come in and talk to your sling device. Your sling device registers with the web site and keeps a connection open to Dish. When your browser contacts Dish, Dish connects the two connections together and they talk amongst themselves.

Remote access no longer working on my android phone. Just gets stuck at the login screen

Same here. I had the same thing last night, so I haven't been able to try the new app yet. Also on my dish account, the dish remote access is grayed out, so you can't get on through the websight. I called last night, and they said they are aware of the problem. So I guess we wait....

Same here. I had the same thing last night, so I haven't been able to try the new app yet. Also on my dish account, the dish remote access is grayed out, so you can't get on through the websight. I called last night, and they said they are aware of the problem. So I guess we wait....

Yeah....yesterday afternoon it was working very well. Sometime last night it stopped. From reading others' post, it looks like the entire remote access no longer works anywhere

I have been able to get Remote Access through my Android phone. I don't have sling yet so I dunno if video works, but I can see what is on my dvr and stuff.

Strange, I just connected. I had to log out and back in because there is some lag on my network to get things connected sometimes.

This is great, but 5 years late as usual. I'm already doing all this from my iPhone and from remote computers, using my old SlingBox, the old software and SlingPlayer for iOS, using its DNS name with it port-forwarded through my router. That way completely bypasses using the sling.com login or finder id. I don't really care for somebody at dish/sling keeping tabs on when and for how long I use my device. Granted, it's only in SD, but the infrastructure between my house and wherever I am watching is a bottleneck for HD anyway.

In addition, I can watch my FTA receiver or whatever else I care to hook up to the RF input of the SlingBox. This solution is limited to only what is accessible with the Dish receiver.

This will probably be a good fit though for those people who don't want to be bothered with figuring out how to make it work.

Most people can't figure out a regular Slingbox.

This makes it easy which is the point of it all.

This also gives you the best HD picture I have ever seen from any Slingbox. So it does have its benefits. :)

Scott Greczkowski said:
Most people can't figure out a regular Slingbox.

This makes it easy which is the point of it all.

This also gives you the best HD picture I have ever seen from any Slingbox. So it does have its benefits. :)

Is picture the same as the 922??

Dish Configuration Recommendation

522 to 722k install

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)