Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
DISH NETWORK INTRODUCES AMERICA’S FIRST TRUE TV EVERYWHERE OFFERING

Newly-Introduced Sling Adapter Allows Live TV Viewing on iPhone®, iPad™, Android™ and BlackBerry® Devices

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – Nov. 18, 2010 – DISH Network L.L.C. today became the first pay-TV provider in America to introduce a true TV Everywhere™ offering, giving DISH Network subscribers the ability to watch all of their live and recorded television programs on compatible smartphones, tablets and laptops. DISH Network subscribers can access these features when they download and use the DISH Remote Access application in concert with their broadband-connected, Sling®-enabled receiver.

“DISH Network is proud to be the first pay-TV provider to bring our customers the ability to enjoy their TV anywhere, anytime on a variety of popular devices,” said DISH Network Chief Marketing Officer Ira Bahr. “Unlike mobile viewing from cable and telcos that limit access to select programs, our TV Everywhere services give consumers 24 x 7 access to all of the live and recorded content included with their DISH Network programming subscription.”

Introducing Sling Adapter

To enjoy the live viewing capability of DISH Remote Access, consumers need to be DISH Network subscribers and have a Sling-enabled device such as the newly-released Sling Adapter™ – a small placeshifting device that pairs with DISH Network’s ViP® 722 or 722k HD DVRs. With a Sling Adapter, customers can then view their high-definition or standard-definition DISH Network programming, including live and recorded shows, on compatible mobile devices or laptops. The award-winning Sling Adapter is powered and operated through a USB connection, offering an easy, plug-and-play set-up without the need for any other wires or connectors. The Sling Adapter is available for $99 to new and current DISH Network customers.

The DISH Remote Access app is free.

Mobile Applications, Available Today

The DISH Remote Access app provides the following features:

Enjoy live TV programming from all subscribed channels,
View all DVR recordings,
Manage recordings and delete shows,
Use a mobile device as a remote control.

DISH Remote Access is powered by SlingPlayer Mobile™ technology for support of 3G and WiFi-enabled phones, laptops or tablets, including the following devices*:

iPhone® & iPod touch®: Watch your TV on your iPhone's Retina display. You can download the app now through the iTunes Store®.

iPad™ (TV viewing coming soon on iOS 4.2): Catch your favorite TV shows, live and in HD, on the iPad’s crystal-clear 9.7 inch screen. The DISH Remote Access app is currently available through the iTunes Store and will soon be updated to provide full-screen TV viewing for the iPad.

Android™: DISH Network offers full support for the fastest-growing smartphone OS in the world. DISH Remote Access for Android devices is available for 4.3-inch display smartphones and tablets, and can be downloaded through the Android Market using your device.

Windows® & Mac® Computers: DISH Remote Access allows high-definition TV viewing on Windows and Mac systems. DISH Network subscribers can log in to DISH Remote Access at DISH Network’s website to use the service.

BlackBerry®: DISH Remote Access means your BlackBerry is no longer just for business, unless your business is watching your TV anywhere and anytime. The beta app is available for Bold (Models 9700 & 9000) and Curve (Models 8520 & 8900) through the TV Everywhere section on DISH Network’s website.

*DISH Network will continue to expand its menu of compatible devices.

For more information about the Sling Adapter, DISH Remote Access and other DISH Network TV Everywhere products, visit www.dish.com/tveverywhere.

meh, wouldnt work for everyone, as many people still cant get high speed internet.
now if they allowed you to access the SAME programming you have anywhere that would be something

mdram said:
but you have to have broadband per the article.
if you cant access broadband you cant access it is the way i read the article

Without broadband access, how do you propose that the signal travel from your home to a remote iPhone or computer?

tomcrown1 said:
Boardband at least 4mp up and 7 mp down

My 922 works very well with my iPhone. I watch it from work a lot and I only have 1.5 down and 256k up. That is not by choice mind you, but that is the fastest speed I can get where I live. I know that it would not do HD or look good in a large size, but it will work.

Without broadband access, how do you propose that the signal travel from your home to a remote iPhone or computer?

it doesnt have to travel from your home, why cant it go from dish to your iphone or other remove location via the net?
it wouldnt work for dvr'd info but would for feeds.

it doesnt have to travel from your home, why cant it go from dish to your iphone or other remove location via the net?
it wouldnt work for dvr'd info but would for feeds.

Because then it would violate copyright agreements. Because you are using your private DVR to watch TV or watch recordings it falls under fair use. If Dish were sending TV over the internet it would be completely different licensing (it would be like Hulu, and dishonline.com limited copyright cleared material with commercials).

The way it works now is that you choose to watch your DVR remotely. Dish is not involved (except for the initial device paring).

Boardband at least 4mp up and 7 mp down

4 Megs up??? Is that what it requires? Most ISPs limit upstream to well under 1MB since they don't want people running servers at home, and for most users 256K to 728K upstream is suffice. If the Sling Adapter requires 4 Megs up or more than that'll cause LOTS of problems and frustration.

Because then it would violate copyright agreements. Because you are using your private DVR to watch TV or watch recordings it falls under fair use. If Dish were sending TV over the internet it would be completely different licensing (it would be like Hulu, and dishonline.com limited copyright cleared material with commercials).

The way it works now is that you choose to watch your DVR remotely. Dish is not involved (except for the initial device paring).

aaahhh, now i understand, thanks.
they could do that though and charge extra for it, with the proper agreements of course
the way it stands right now the people that satellire was originally intended for, those that cannot get cable, cannot use it, as those people cannot get high speed internet either.
yes its a nice feature, but not one that would cause me to switch for the above reason

I have the SlingBox application on my I-phone and I can watch my Dish using a 3G connection. Not always great, but good enough for a small screen.

Even if I have access to higher speeds when I am away from home my "so called HSI" only gives me 600Kbps upload speeds.

Jim

Here's a link to the Android app. Download away!
Thank you. My Android phone (running 1.6 and apparently will do so forever) is at home getting recharged, so I couldn't search that way and Google doesn't have anything but refs to http://satelliteguys.us. ;) What I was trying to figure out was what versions of Android were acceptable, because a lot of multimedia stuff I've used for my Hava Platinum either works on pre 2.0 Android or post, but not both. The ref you gave says "Latest version: 1.0.0.1 (for all Android versions)". In for 1!

Edited to add: Good God it's an ugly orange. Won't matter to me since my 722 is in an equipment closet, but good grief! I mean if it were flourescent lime green, I woudn't complain. :D

Last edited:
The true definition of TV Everywhere involves validating the subscriber on services that stream the programming on the Internet. DISH's version isn't all that, but it works now and it works pretty well.

Thank you. My Android phone (running 1.6 and apparently will do so forever) is at home getting recharged, so I couldn't search that way and Google doesn't have anything but refs to http://satelliteguys.us. ;) What I was trying to figure out was what versions of Android were acceptable, because a lot of multimedia stuff I've used for my Hava Platinum either works on pre 2.0 Android or post, but not both. The ref you gave says "Latest version: 1.0.0.1 (for all Android versions)". In for 1!

Your welcome. I LOVE AppBrain for sharing and managing apps.

Does the adapter connect to the net via wi-fi? My desktop is hard wired connected via a linksys vonage router and I have a net gear router Piggy backed to the linksys for my laptop.

Dish Configuration Recommendation

522 to 722k install

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)